Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Single sign on for wordpress & membership software

edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Aloha Vanilla members!

I have been working on a membership site with wordpress. A key to this site is the forums, which before I was using simple press. After I saw there was a vanilla plug in I immediately hopped on as I prefer the look and feel of Vanilla forums.

My question is, using either magic members or wishlist members I would like to have my forum connect with my wordpress site with single sign on. Beyond that I am hoping that through user roles I can limit certain categories on the forum to those membership types.

for example, A members can access category A forums and B members can access category B forums but only both of them if they sign up for both.

Any idea about how one would go about doing this? Thanks to anyone who could help!

Answers

• Hey all I am brand new to Vanilla - I have heard about it but had yet to try it until today (and I am VERY impressed). Anyway I am trying to implement the same thing (membership site with WordPress 3), and I am also wondering how user roles are mapped using SSO. I would really love to restrict access to certain categories to certain roles.
  • We are interested in this as well. Any feedback out there?

• Hey guys,

While vanilla forums are still my favorite. I've decided to switch to buddypress for my project. The user integration is seamless and using the buddyboss theme just makes everything work so well. No hacking user roles required. I would consider switching back to vanilla for other projects in the future.