Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Has my forum been hacked?

edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I just went to logon to my forum today and it's come up with the setup page?! I never made any changes to any of the forums database or files?

Any help guys?

Best Answer

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2011 Answer ✓
    No, it was not a hack. It is a rare but known bug in the current build of Vanilla (2.0.17). It has been fixed for the upcoming version. It's caused by too much writing to the config file, basically. Once in a long while it can choke and accidentally delete the whole thing.

Answers

• lucluc ✭✭
    You've surely lost your config.php file, check it and its content.
  • Also happened to me and indeed config.php lost its content.
    What to do now, any idea ?

Thank you
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Do you have a backup? Restoring it from backups would be best.
  • I'm not sure you want to go through the whole file and manually edit this, so I would suggest deleting the conf/settings.php and conf/config.php file. Once this is done, the whole site will redirect to the setup page. You should be able to setup your forum again, after you delete all the tables with prefix LUM_ in your database.
  • Thank you for the answers, friends.
    The issue was indeed the loss of content in config.php and restoring a backup was the easiest way to recover my work.
    My hosting did the job in 5 minutes and only for the forum, without touching the rest of my site.
    On the other hand I am still curious: how this actually happened ? it was a hack or something like this ? a bug of vanilla ?
  • This is only something your host can tell you. They should be able to track any file changes through the logs.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2011 Answer ✓
    No, it was not a hack. It is a rare but known bug in the current build of Vanilla (2.0.17). It has been fixed for the upcoming version. It's caused by too much writing to the config file, basically. Once in a long while it can choke and accidentally delete the whole thing.
  • Excellent that it's solved in 2.0.18!

There was an error rendering this rich post.