Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embed 'Force URL' - but use mobile site still?

edited August 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there any way to force embed url for desktop only, but have mobile users use the mobile version outside of the embed?

Right now the forced url works fine http://thestiz.com/forums/
Mobile user see the mobile version but it is still embedded on the page.
I love the look of the mobile version by itself, but i don't want to sacrifice desktop users seeing mysite.com/vanilla . . . i still want that to redirect.

Any ideas?

Answers

• I've read a lot of different discussions regarding the mobile version. I still haven't found a real solution to the above situation.

Situation: Embedded site (Force embed 'checked' for obvious reasons)

Problem: When mobile viewers access the site, the mobile version is still embedded.

Solution: ???
    I'd like to have ONLY the mobile version not embedded.
    Help?
  • whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2011
    JiveDig

I'm just trying the embed feature.

I set my embed page as index2.html and redirected www.mysite.com to that page.

I've told my mobile users to set their link to www.mysite.com/index.php, which then serves them the mobile version.

It obviously won't work if a new mobile user goes to your site, but you could have a 'Mobile site' link on your home page.
  • how to make embeded like that?? can u give me the code script??
  • I don't see how it is vanilla's responsibility, if you are using not using vanilla handle the request.

It is the responsibility of the script that embeds vanilla. Vanilla has to have some awareness of the agent.

grep is your friend.

• hint look at IsMobile() under library/core/functions.general.php

grep is your friend.