Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

No 'Guest' account?

edited September 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi guys - I've just create a new forum using a V1 database.

All is well except I have no user role "Guest" so when I view as unregistered I get no discussions - how can I recreate this role? Happy to do it DB side if I know what the fields are meant to be, maybe someone can strip them out for me to see :)

Cheers
Rob

Anyone got an idea on this?

I made a duplicate install just so I could generate the Guest role - I managed this and I can see that the Guest role works as intended - Then I tried to recreate the user in GDN_Permission and GDN_Role but it obviously has dependencies elsewhere as it didn't work.

Any more ideas? Or know what other tables that the user needs adding in?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    It is a role not a user

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    Yes but it is the category, that is not being viewed.

The defualt permission for categories is -1 so I suggest you set PermissionCategoryID to -1 where you want the default behaviour, if it is not already.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• On the old forum there used to be a "require login" option - is this why I had no 'Guest' account type?

I'm really struggling to sort this. Can anyone help with where it filters out users from viewing the site without logging in? I'll happily dig in if it's theme based.
  • I think you will have a guest role. Check dashboard/role

I think you need to set your categories visible to all. In vanilla/settings/managecategories

make sure that guests can view. Check through the custom permissions carefully, that they are how you want. There can be some surprises just using the defaults.

grep is your friend.

• Definitely not there and not in the table unfortunately.

I've done a clean install with no users and the permissions work fine - I just need to recreate this magical 'Guest' user... :s
  • x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    It is a role not a user

grep is your friend.

• Yes - thanks, 'Role' I meant.

I've recreated the user in GDN_Role and GDN_Permission but no joy.
  • x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    Yes but it is the category, that is not being viewed.

The defualt permission for categories is -1 so I suggest you set PermissionCategoryID to -1 where you want the default behaviour, if it is not already.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks x00, yeah they're all -1 already.

I've now copied the default GDN_Permission table over into my install. I can now view the discussions as a guest, woot!

I'll have to look into Private Messages as they're also visible now. To be honest I don't really understand how they work anyway so I'll dive in.