Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Adding Preview of Latest Posts

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi all:

I'm looking to add some increased functionality to the categories side panel by also displaying the thread titles of the threads with the most recent activity within each forum category.

For example, if I had two forum categories called "Off-topic" and "General Discussion", I want the categories panel to display the most recent five topics with activity underneath each of those forums as sort of a preview.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, but any suggestions on how I would accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    Sorry, no idea but you might find your panel will be so long youll need to scroll waaaaaaay down! which brings me to ask if the categorys box could be expanded and collapsed with cookies? that way users have choice. I have 17 categorys and its too long even without a mod like you want!
  • I really only have interest in displaying the latest posts from 2-3 forums, so the bar shouldn't be any longer than the height of a single page.
  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Someone else had a similar request, and I had a vague idea as to how you might go about it. Here's the thread: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/144670#Comment_144670 Unfortunately I don't really have the time to test it out myself.
  • Yeah, I happened to stumble upon that thread before your post :)

I'll see if I can play around a little with the idea and get it to work.