Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla vs GetSponge

mclovinmclovin New
edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I just got access to getSponge.com today, and have been a Vanilla user for 2 years now. While getSponge doesn't look like its open source, it does have a better finishing and is a pleasure to use.

I wish the Vanilla had a UI as good as getSponge's. Perhaps its time for the community and the core developers to spend an iteration or two in the User experience and theming side of things.

Vanilla is simple and a breath of fresh air when compared to the forums of the last decade but it lacks some polish. What do you all think?

Answers

• Is this spam? That website barely even loads for me and there's not real relevant info. Just some Q&A site?
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    Isnt that like going on vbulletin and saying you guys need to sort your act out, cos theres a better system called stackoverflow .. Load of rubbish if u ask me and a spam thread

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    IMO vanilla's better than getsponge in terms of flexibility, and if its theme we're talking about -- vanilla is way better too. just view source the and compare both.
  • tbh the functionality of that site, can be provided by a plugin.

with vanilla you create your own UI. Horses of courses.

grep is your friend.

• Even if this was spam, if there's something worth taking away from what he's saying then it can't hurt. The UI and experience is what makes that vital first impression.

I don't think Vanilla's default theme is bad, but it can only help if it were polished even more. I believe great themes make a big difference when someone comes shopping for a forum software. They'll be impressed if there's already a great selection of quality themes or something close to what they're looking for.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    More polished themes are something we talk about a lot. Our original intention for the default theme was to be unobtrusive and easy to fit into an existing site. We've seen Vanilla used in many sites with existing designs and it works very well in this regard. I'd dare say that Vanilla is better at integration than anything else out there.

However, in the past year or so we've also seen Vanilla used for entire sites and used by a lot of people that don't have the ability, time or can't be bothered to create a theme. When Vanilla's default theme is used this way I'd say it looks way too plain and I wish people would take pride in their own sites and use the power we are giving them.
  • The old Vanilla 1 design and theme was the best.
  • jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Our original intention for the default theme was to be unobtrusive and easy to fit into an existing site. We've seen Vanilla used in many sites with existing designs and it works very well in this regard. I'd dare say that Vanilla is better at integration than anything else out there.
    This.

Maybe it could still use some polish, but really that's what the community is for. Default themes are usually bland.

And the Vanilla 1 design wasn't that great either.
  • maybe we need to improve the theme-making community? this could better showcase what people are doing or can do with vanilla, and how to do it. even things like CSS snippets for theme building novices, etc. Most of the themes uploaded here are basic re-colourings of the default.

I'd be happy to help.