Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can you delay a post/thread?

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Can an administrator post a thread but have it only displayed at a future date/time?

Looking to use Vanilla for a client, but they need to have the ability to schedule posts. I couldn't see an addon for this, so I wanted to see if it was possible "out of the box" or something that would need to be written.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011 Answer ✓
    @Tim why not like a draft and a column with the future date in it? Then you just need the cron , Bob's your father's brother.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I don't believe that exists; it would need to be created as a plugin.
  • I don't believe that exists; it would need to be created as a plugin.
    Thanks - one followup:

As a seasoned programmer, I'm not concerned as to whether I can write the plugin, but I have no frame of reference as to how easy both Vanilla is to modify and what might be involved in writing the plugin. As someone with no vanilla experience, how difficult do you think that might be? 1-2 hours, 2-5 hours, 5-10 hours or 10+ ?

Thanks

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Vanilla is extremely easy to modify. We've built an event framework for just that purpose.

What you're asking for would involve some kind of intermediate comment store (possibly a hidden category with no permissions for anyone to view), and a way to repeatedly check the dates on those timed items.

I reckon I could code this in about 2-5, a fresh Vanilla dev is going to need to learn the framework first so you could be looking at a lot longer.

Check out the Example plugin here: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/example-plugin

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011 Answer ✓
    @Tim why not like a draft and a column with the future date in it? Then you just need the cron , Bob's your father's brother.

grep is your friend.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    That's another good idea.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]