Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

any advice on auto increment logic issue with vanilla (category issues)!?

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
so, my install is humming along - just updated to RC3 - but i'm still having this precise issue: unable to add new categories

when i looked at the GDN_Category table in phpMyAdmin, i see that the auto increment number is crazy high, like in the kazillions, but this appears in no other table.

i have already tried to change int(11) to 22, didn't work, tried to manually change the auto increment number, tried (even) to change from innodb to myisam (since it's just me adding cats, seemed okay)...tried to even manually command sql to reset the increment back to 15 (from kazillions) - and not a single thing is working.

again, nothing else is wrong, every other table is fine, just this one particular table and the associated logic seems absolutely screwy and so as a result, i am simply unable to add any new category, period.

any ideas or thoughts about what may be causing this? this is running on latest php and mysql, and again, not a single issue other than that the auto increment seems to be running out of room because the numbers are soooo high!

Answers

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    so you have tried ALTER TABLE `GDN_Category` AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ?

grep is your friend.

• Options
    yes, that's exactly what i tried - though i actually tried to increment by 15 instead of 1, but even when it ran it wound up not saving the change (!) - random...
  • Options
    sorry which increment are you talking about? The category ID?
    you might need to set the right permissions for that mysql user.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    yes, category ID - it starts in the kazillions (well, at least some ridiculous 11 or 12 digit number, so guessing mysql maxes out or something)...seems that i don't have the right permissions (on media temple grid server, so i can get in to mysql to admin, but not certain that i have those rights/level to change that particular item!
  • Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    often the default user for phpMyAdmin is different. I think you just need alter table rights.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    you might try exporting the table, dropping it then recreating it with the correct AUTO_INCREMENT

grep is your friend.

• Options
    i was thinking about that (drop and recreate) - but will that blow up my install? or perhaps just run an update (utility/update)?