Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Fatal error: Cannot create references to/from string offsets nor overloaded objects

mikizzimikizzi New
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Following carefully and correctly this tutorial http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/12740/vanilla-2-upgrading-tips

A fatal error is pulling out when I am back to the forum HP, saying:
Fatal error: Cannot create references to/from string offsets nor overloaded objects in ../library/core/class.thememanager.php on line 87
What do I have to do in order to fix it up?

I run update utility and it was "success" but then I see that error I have tried again to run update utility and it said: BONK

I have upgraded from old version 2.0.13 to Vanilla version 2.0.18.1

I am using a personal customised theme but even if I switch $Configuration['Garden']['Theme'] = 'default'; to default is not working do I miss something else?

Answers

• It seem to be this line

$CacheThemeInfo = &$SearchPathCache['ThemeInfo'];
            if (!is_array($CacheThemeInfo))
               $CacheThemeInfo = array();

that would be the reference. try removing the &

grep is your friend.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I've edited this question title. Please try and give your questions thoughtful titles. There is a post at the top of this form telling you why.

• yes it works thanks :)

• at the end the issue is still there :( I removed "&" from "$CacheThemeInfo = &$SearchPathCache['ThemeInfo'];" vanilla could load the theme and the error went away but I couldnt login or better I could once but I log out without wanting and I could not login anymore, submitting login details but nothing....always same page....no wrong pw message no error nothing. Something like cache problem.

Any ideas? I can install Vanilla version 2.0.18.1 but how can I save all the forum data?

• How to solve it?