Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

email notification of new user

edited April 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
hello, i just installed a vanilla 0.9.2 and i have the following check in the forum preferences: Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership However, I am not receiving any email notifications when a new user signs up. I checked if sendmail is installed on the server. Everything is installed correctly. In fact, when I go through the 'forgot password' form, i receive an email notification immediately. Has anyone encountered this? or have any fix to this? Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Do you have it set to auto-approve members? It may not send mail in that scenario.
  • Options
    No, I do not believe it is set on auto-approve. I have a new member role set as 'Applicant', and membership approval role as 'Member'. When you mean auto approve, do you mean both the new member role and membership approval role is set as 'Member'? If so, then I do not have it set like that.
  • Options
    Yep - I'm a new user... and I'm finding the same problem. I get no notification if a new applicant tries to join. I'm pretty sure I have everything correct in the settings... but then again... Any advice?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    There is a possibility that your server isn't set up to send mail properly. I purposefully made it so that the application form doesn't throw a fatal error when people try to apply - you don't want to scare away new users. One way to test if your mail server is working properly is to change someone's role. If there are problems it should throw a fatal error for you when it fails to send the mail (being an admin, I figured that would be a good time to show you the error).
  • Options
    Thanks for your response. Hmmm, just tried that: I changed an Administrator to a Member - but got no error message.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, it could just be a preferences thing.

First of all, make sure that your administrative role has Notify by email of new applicants checked.
    Then go to your accoung > forum preferences and make sure that Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership is also checked.
  • Options
    is there no way to get it to send an email even if it is on auto approve. i want to send the user the screen name and password as a common sign up email.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, no, thats not in the core system, no. But you could make an extension to do it.
  • Options
    dang, note to self... learn to code php from scratch. :(. Well thanks for the quick response.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, you don't have to learn to code PHP (though that helps, of course). You can always ask and see if anyone on here who *can* code php wants that extension as well - You never know who might pick it up and make it.
  • Options
    Hi, I am facing the same problem....am using Vanilla 1.1.7 I do not auto approve applicants. However, though my 'Notify by email of new applicants' and 'Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership' is checked, I don't get emails when a new user applies for membership... Nor do I get emails when I change my password(assuming that this does happen normally). As I want vanilla to use the mail server that is set up on the server where Vanilla resides, I have left all the 3 SMTP fields blank. Thanks.