Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Showing Child Categories inside of Category

hey there. i would like to know what i need to do to have a cathegories childs show up inside when you click it.

hmm, i dont know if i am clear, let me try it like this:
normally you see:

cathegory name

blablabla child cathegories: bla 1, bla 2, bla 3

you click on the cathegory name and you only see its discussions inside:

cathegory name

- discussions:

1. ...

but i would like to have it lik this when you clicked on it:

cathegory name

- child chathegories:

1. Bla 1

2. Bla 2

3. Bla 3

- discussions:

1. ...

Best Answer

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    Answer ✓

What I meant was that one would need to be made. Vanilla aims to be ... well... vanilla. Plugins are where you get the customized functionality.

If you know a bit of php, you can make it yourself or offer to pay someone on the forum here for their services.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• I've never seen anyone type with a verbal lithp so consistently before :)

• BTW, you will need a plugin for this.

• edited December 2011

hahaha, verbal lithp ;)

thank you, wich plugin would that be?

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    Answer ✓

What I meant was that one would need to be made. Vanilla aims to be ... well... vanilla. Plugins are where you get the customized functionality.

If you know a bit of php, you can make it yourself or offer to pay someone on the forum here for their services.

• edited December 2011

i already customized my copy of vanilla alot, but i am not really a fan of php, i am a ruby developer...well i can try tho, thanks for the help.

technically i just seem to need to find the part that shows the child cathegories in the main view, copy it to the cathegories view and make it functional i guess. but i thought there was something existing for that already :/

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭
    edited December 2011

did you make any progress with this? i am interested in getting this done too, but i am clueless

anyone have an idea how to do this?

• no not yet, i managed to put category descriptions into the categories, but i dont know how to do the rest yet - i am working on it :D

edited December 2011

cool - i found this recently, maybe it helps

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/15001/proposed-cascading-categories-first-draft-code-feadback-requested

it is exactly what we are looking for, working fine in a side branch of vanilla.
    i tried to implement it into the 2.0.18.1 but without success

edited December 2011

i tried again and it works, turns out i made a little mistake when i did it the first time

applications/vanilla/controllers/class.categoriescontroller.php
    http://pastebin.com/MPmabq6C

applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php
    http://pastebin.com/GGdf6Ayk

library/database/class.sqldriver.php

http://pastebin.com/BQCwG77p

conf/config-defaults.php

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['cascadeDiscussions'] = TRUE;

• i tried that, and now it shows all posts of a category and its subs inside the category, but not the subforums :(

you mean if you click on the parent category it shows the discussions of the parent plus the child categories, but if you select the child only it doesn't show it's contents?

if so thats weird because it is totally working for me. and the pastebin code is an exact copy of my files.

are you using vanilla 2.18.0.1? i am

• edited December 2011

yes i am using that version and i copied the file content like you discribed :/ i might look up if i edited one of the files and forgot replacing it.

nope, that didnt help :/

did anyone else try this? it just doesnt seem to work for me.