Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"new comments"

when i look at the discussions here i always see "1 new" or "5 new" or whatever on the right side, next to the comments and such, i dont have that on my forum somehow, only in the bookmarks list. what do i need to search for / change?

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Should be there. Make sure it's not hidden with CSS. Firebug or Chrome is your friend here.

Answers

Answer ✓

Should be there. Make sure it's not hidden with CSS. Firebug or Chrome is your friend here.

• the part of the code was deleted somehow, might have done that out of the blue, i got it working again and added it into the voting plugin for a nicer view :D

• edited December 2011

speaking of wich, how can i get the new posts with infos of childs to show on the front page?

right now i got this:
    .Plural(number_format($Category->CountAllDiscussions), '%s topic', '%s topics').
    .Plural(number_format($Category->CountAllComments), '%s comment', '%s comments').
    .Plural(number_format($Category->CountUnreadComments), '%s New post', '%s New posts').

i put the last one in as an example, from the discussions section, i wonder what the right one would be for that?

One thing to note with the voting plugin and the way that it adds css. A lot of standard css column layouts will put an overflow:hidden on the comments which saves a lot of hassle. Unfortunately, this also ends up hiding stuff like the new comments tag and checkmarks for answered questions and whatnot. It's a real pain to debug that css error so I just want to put it out there.

I'm not sure what you are asking with regards to your next question. If you are unsure of what data you have available in a view I recommend getting json view and then viewing a page as json (put a .json extension to the page).

• i worked it out and am quite happy with the output, check out the pic :)

about the other question, what i ment was instead of only X discussions and X comments in the category view, i would like to have X new too.

That looks absolutely great!

Oh I see. We don't have a feature for counting the number of new comments/discussions in a category and that is asking for a world of pain in terms of query complexity and scaling.

The best we do is offer a Read property on the category and even that is a little fuzzy.

• thank you.
    i am not too good in php, still trying to get into it...
    how would i go on about this if i was using Read?

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited December 2011

@RedTwentyFour
    What I'm getting is that you're viewing your Vanilla in the Categories view, is that correct?

So you have your category "Test" and you want to show that it has 24 new "comments" for discussions in that category.

What Todd wants to say is "Don't do it, it's too complex and probably too slow in the long run"

If you really want to do it still, have you figured out the view, the helper_functions and the model you need to look at?

Have you figured out the function that Get s the discussions from the database?

After that try to view the contents of the $Data it produces. (I'll use print_r in most cases)

There was an error rendering this rich post.