Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Facebook, Twitter and Google signon are not working

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have enabled these plugins in my dashboard and have add the correct API keys as instructed, but they are still not working.

I am using the latest version of Vanilla. Site: www.nigerianz.com

Any form of help will be appreciated on this. Thank you.

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

You have something screwy with your webserver. That's an apache error message. Vanilla's not getting hit there.

Answers

• edited January 2012

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the facebook plugin authenticates and registers users, but it does not automatically sign them in. The plugin on vanillaforums.org does that easily, so I know something is wrong.

Below is a screenshot of what I get whenever I click the twitter button:

Below is a screenshot of what I get whenever I click the google button:

The error message is telling you what the error is. You have your Facebook application set up as a desktop application rather than a website. Hunt around the application configuration page and switch over.

I think you just need to provide a url, but Facebook changes their UI all the time.

• Thanks for your response.

I will work on Facebook now. What about Twitter and Google? Screenshots are are available above.

Answer ✓

You have something screwy with your webserver. That's an apache error message. Vanilla's not getting hit there.

• 422422 Developer MVP

From recollection isnt that a bwlimited issue in apache, your host will have to update and rebuild apache.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I use Hostgator. I'll send them a message now. I wonder if anybody else has these kind of issues with them

• 422422 Developer MVP

Think its bwunlimited my bad. Sorry on mobile device and racking brain

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• edited January 2012

@happydude You must create your Twitter app with a Callback URL. You can use whatever you want as long it is a valid URL of your site.

If you don't specify this, Twitter thinks it is a desktop app and they don't use callbacks as Vanilla or other sites to integrate.

• The twitter adjustment worked. Thanks @im_dario.

I still have issues with Facebook though. The plugin autheticates properly on Facebook's end but does not log in the user on Vanilla as it normally should.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• @happydude

Simply go to https://developers.facebook.com/apps and 'Create New App' if you haven't already done so.

Once you've created the app you should have a few options like the image on the link below.

http://i44.tinypic.com/wvoc1s.jpg

You need to enter the Basic Info at the top of the page and then you need to click on the tick that says 'Website' and enter http://www.nigerianz.com where it says Site URL.

Save changes then see if it works

Good luck!

• I have done all these. It is not working. I really need help on this.

• I have created a new facebook application entirely and it is still not working. It authenticates on Facebook's end but does not sign the user in Vanilla's end.

Does enable else have this issue?

• @happudude .... Is your problem solved by now ? I'm experiencing the same problem as yours. I'm getting the same error screen when i log in with google and I also use hostgator. So if you have found the solution please help me. I want to know what is the problem and how to rectify it ?

Waiting for a reply. Thanks in advance