Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SEO Question for Embedded version of Vanilla in wordpress

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I installed vanilla at my local wamp server installation yesterday to test it before I can install it on my production site at http://www.environmentabout.com

I have a question related to the embedded version of vanilla in wordpress. Suppose I installed vanilla in localhost/vanilla and embedded the forum into into my wordpress page at localhost/blog/forum.. Now following are my questions related to the setup

1> The users would be publishing content through my wordpress page and the link structure there is http://localhost/blog/forum#/discussions The same URL for the actual installation page is http://localhost/vanilla/discussions. The users will copy the URLs from my forum page to post it on other sites but the search engines will be indexing the actual forum link structure. Wouldn't this result into loss of link juice and seo efforts as the incoming links will be pointing to a different page but the indexed pages have different links?

2> For some reason, when I try to visit actual installation page at localhost/vanilla, it doesn't redirect me to wordpress embedded page. I have used the wordpress pluginto embed the forum into my wordpress page and checked the option to force redirect users to wordpress page. So I visit both pages without being redirected.

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Personally it is not my cup of tea. I've never been a fan of embedding through iframe, except where I'm providing some kind of widget, where SEO is not important.

Vanilla holds its own.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• sure when using an iframe, there are limitations. If you have a redirect there you are making the forum unindexable.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

Personally I would just have a forum directory. Put a rewrite rule above # BEGIN wordpress in you .htaccess and forget about <embed>. It doesn't matter if there was a wordpress page, becuase it won't be reached (done correctly), but the link will remain.

There is no reason why you couldn't have a similar style.

grep is your friend.

• Oh. So I should drop the idea of embedding the forum into my wordpress page?

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012 Answer ✓

Personally it is not my cup of tea. I've never been a fan of embedding through iframe, except where I'm providing some kind of widget, where SEO is not important.

Vanilla holds its own.

grep is your friend.

• Then I will limit it to its own directory only.. One final question, will it be possible to only intergrate wordpress users and single login without embedding the forum into wordpress page?

• SSO or jsConnect word regardless of how you integrate. jsConnect works cross domain.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks for the valuable info..

• RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭

I installed Wordpress, then created a folder titled "forum" and dropped my Vanilla install into that. Then all you have to do is theme the forum to match your Wordpress theme, and your all set from an SEO perspective