Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Facebook, twitter, linkedin addon for registration

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Can anyone help me setup Facebook, twitter, linkedin registration button like this form have?

Answers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

Facebook connect

Twitter Connect

Google and OpenId

if you still face any problem feel free to add it here and we will be more than happy to help :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Login cookies (at least for Facebook and Google connects) seem to expire after closing the browser. I can't figure out where to change this in the plugins.
    I don't want my users to have to sign-in every time.

• edited March 2012

@ppaigemariee : I am not sure, but I believe this is browser-specific. Because it happens in Chrome, when it's fine with Mozilla Firefox.

@2softsolutions : Just go to your Vanilla forum dashboard, and in the sidebar under 'Addons' click 'Plugins' link. That is where you will find these four addons — OpenID, Google, Facebook & Twitter.

Some points of note:

• You SHOULD install 'OpenID' addon prior to installing 'Google' login addon as the latter is basically using OpenID itself.

• Once installed, go to settings of that plugin, and you'll find the instructions on how to install them. Or like @sahotataran suggested, follow the instructions in these links — Facebook connect, Twitter Connect, Google and OpenId.

• Enabling Twitter is a bit tricky, and the instructions here, aren't exactly very clear. The only thing missing is, you should put your forum URL in the 'Callback URL' field in the Twitter app settings.

Hope that helps!

• @2softsolutions said:
    Can anyone help me setup Facebook, twitter, linkedin registration button like this form have?

Is there a LinkedIn registration option?

• hey guys, i was planning to setup the FACEBOOK login for my forum but the below link given in the documentation is not opening the required page to create the application:

http://www.facebook.com/developers/apps.php

When this button is clicked, it keeps fluctuating between 2 URLS and refreshes the page each time. Nothing is displayed and hence one cannot create the required application.

Can you recommend what can be done about the situation? Is there an alternative?
    Thanks & Regards
    M

• Thanks Wilson ! That link worked. But I have more queries :(

Do i use
    1. Login for Server-side Apps : https://developers.facebook.com/docs/howtos/login/server-side-login/
    2. Client-side JavaScript SDK : https://developers.facebook.com/docs/howtos/login/getting-started/
    3. Native Device Login

Thanks
    Manoj

• Hi guys, just following up on my last months query on google, FB, twitter, openid integration. I just can't get it to work and my launch is still pending. I really need someone to help me out.

• regarding facebook integration, i followed the procedure and when i tried to login i recd the below error :
    {
    "error": {
    "message": "Invalid redirect_uri: Given URL is not allowed by the Application configuration.",
    "type": "OAuthException",
    "code": <3 digit number i have hidden here>
    }
    }

• back again - i fixed the above error on FB login but now I am getting the following error which i am getting for Google as well :
    Bonk
    Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks.

I really need help - cant get any of the social connect to work :(

• @mventures said:
    back again - i fixed the above error on FB login but now I am getting the following error which i am getting for Google as well :
    Bonk
    Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks.

I really need help - cant get any of the social connect to work :(

I'm having the exact same issue. Please, can anyone help us with this issue?

Thank you.

• @mventures, I have found the solution! (at least in my case)
    I've read this thread and added the line in the configuration file to make the error screen more verbose:
    http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Bonk_Errors

Then, I got a more detailed error and find out that the problem was caused when vanilla tried to create a new user the first time I logged with Facebook and tried to send the confirmation e-mail. The phpmailer was not installed on my server, and I had not configured another smtp server, so vanilla couldn't send the e-mail.
    I added my smtp server and an e-mail account to send the e-mails from, and it worked!

If you have any problems with this solution, send me a private message and I will try to help you.

Cheers.

• thanks