Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is there a way to move a message to another topic ?

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,

my question is in the title : Is there a way to move a message to another topic ?
This option is sometimes needed by the moderators

Tagged:

Best Answer

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

Dan

I hadn't realised the Split/Merge FE plugin was a refinement of Split/Merge when I wrote that.

Download and enable the FE plugin. This is what I gave to my mods:

If you want to move a post (or posts) to a different (existing) thread, all you need to know is the thread number of the target thread (the one the posts are going to.) This is the 4 digit number that appears after /discussion/xxxx in the thread title in the address bar (top of the browser page) or at the bottom of the browser page if you hover your mouse over the thread title.

So, for example, I know that I want to move some posts to thread 1919.

Beside each post there is a 'tick box' Click beside a post, and at the bottom on the left you will see a message box: Take Action Split / Move

Click on 'Move' and enter 1919 in the Discussion ID box.

Click 'Move comments' and they are gone to their new home.

If you wanted to start a new thread using some of the posts, you would choose 'Split' instead, and then give the new thread a suitable title and category.

To split posts to a new thread, you just pick the posts, click Split and choose a new thread title and category in the box that pops up.

It works a treat!

Answers

• Do you mean post to another discussion?

grep is your friend.

• edited January 2012

@x00 yes I think it means just that. For example a wrong category was selected and the person miss posted in the wrong category.

It would also be good to have a place to put all negative posts this way they can be saved for any possible reasons and only the admin can access these.

Craigslist has an area where it's bad ads are placed for safe keeping, but nobody but the original poster and the admin can view these ads. Also good in case you need to save for legal reasons. If they are only copied to a file that cannot be used by the legal authorities. By keeping it on the system you have all the data as evidence.

edited January 2012

glow

To move posts out of discussions we use the split/merge plugin.

It's slightly 'clunky', as first you have to split the post (or posts) to a new (holding) discussion, then merge the 'holding' discussion with the target discussion.

tbh for individual posts we tend to just copy and paste, as it is as quick.

• JongosJongos
    edited January 2012

In my local installation, an Admin could click edit on a Discussion started by any users, and change the category....

If "message" means Discussion that is.

If he meant "Comment" by that, well that's different.

• thanks @whu606, this sould do it. According to the plugin page : "allow move comments to other existing discussion"

Unfortunately I can't get it to work for now. Maybe because my vanilla version is out-of-date (2.0.16)

edited January 2012

@glow

Yes, afaIk it only came in with 2.0.18

• None some of the minifiers have conflicted with Merge/Split in the past.

grep is your friend.

• whu606 said:
    glow

To move posts out of discussions we use the split/merge plugin.

It's slightly 'clunky', as first you have to split the post (or posts) to a new (holding) discussion, then merge the 'holding' discussion with the target discussion.

tbh for individual posts we tend to just copy and paste, as it is as quick.

Does anyone have a tutorial on using Split and Merge? I have not been able to understand how to use it.

Answer ✓

Dan

I hadn't realised the Split/Merge FE plugin was a refinement of Split/Merge when I wrote that.

Download and enable the FE plugin. This is what I gave to my mods:

If you want to move a post (or posts) to a different (existing) thread, all you need to know is the thread number of the target thread (the one the posts are going to.) This is the 4 digit number that appears after /discussion/xxxx in the thread title in the address bar (top of the browser page) or at the bottom of the browser page if you hover your mouse over the thread title.

So, for example, I know that I want to move some posts to thread 1919.

Beside each post there is a 'tick box' Click beside a post, and at the bottom on the left you will see a message box: Take Action Split / Move

Click on 'Move' and enter 1919 in the Discussion ID box.

Click 'Move comments' and they are gone to their new home.

If you wanted to start a new thread using some of the posts, you would choose 'Split' instead, and then give the new thread a suitable title and category.

To split posts to a new thread, you just pick the posts, click Split and choose a new thread title and category in the box that pops up.

It works a treat!

• Thanks @whu606,

I was going about it all wrong. Will save your post for the next time I need it!

• thank you I managed to do what I wanted with Split/Merge FE.