Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Inbox not found.

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

My users are getting an "page not found" error when they try to look at their inbox. I'd hoped it would be a problem solved by upgrading, but the problem persists even in the upgraded installation. I'm not running much in the way of plugins and I haven't made changes to code or anything.

The site can be found here: http://www.daveandjoel.com/forum

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Options
    bxbseanbxbsean New
    edited September 2012 Answer ✓

I believe I fixed it. I had to modify the .htaccess file under my forum subdirectory:

My forum is hosted at mydomain.com/forum, so I changed line 6 from:

RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       # RewriteBase /

to:

RewriteEngine On
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /forum

Apparently the Apache change on BlueHost / HostMonster servers caused this line to be necessary from now on. Forum works as expected for me now, whew! Hope this helps.

Answers

• Options

I'm bumping this up, as I'm still having t he same issue. The site address is the same. I'm not sure what other information I'd need to provide to help troubleshooting.

• Options
    shozen1shozen1 New
    edited September 2012

I am having the same problem since yesterday when I moved webhost/server. Inbox folder comes up with a 404 not found page when trying to access /messages/inbox. Have deleted all .ini files in the cache folder, this does not help.

Assistance required, thank you

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

@shozen1

if you haven't found a solution, try this and it should work..

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = FALSE;

I suspect Inbox and /notifications/inform don't work with

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

with the "typical" .htaccess

problem urls:

The requested URL /vanilla/dashboard/notifications/inform was not found on this server

vanilla/messages/inbox

I wonder if there is a problem with

there is no messages controller
    messages - so the .htaccess or routes in dashboard need to be changed.

perhaps the /messages/inbox and /notifications/inform need to have a line in .htaccess

@Todd any insight on this.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

surely someone can respond to this - it's a yes or no answer for the first part.

Q1. does inbox work correctly on your site with...????

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

extra credit

Q2. if so, what are the lines in your .htaccess

=======

answers

Q1 - multiple choice a) yes or b) no

Q2. short essay.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited September 2012

@peregrine:
    Q1. No, it doesn't. If I disable it, it works correctly. Another thing is, that I experience this bug: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21379/not-able-to-post-comment-version-2-1a26 when I have disabled 'RewriteUrls'.

• Options

For my money, what fixed it for me was actually activating some 'inbox' plugin I had unchecked... though I'm not sure how that would've happened.

• Options
    bxbseanbxbsean New
    edited September 2012

@peregrine
    New to this thread, but I was having similar issues (which I just posted about here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/168170/#Comment_168170) and I tried your fix. Changing RewriteUrls to false solved the problem.

Given that so many people are suddenly experiencing this problem at the same time, without any changes (seemingly) on our ends, I am beginning to suspect that each of us is using the same hosting provider, and that hosting provider suddenly changed something on us. I see that @Fastkarate is using Bluehost, and I'm using hostmonster, which is actually the same company. I'm getting on the phone with them now.

Any pointers on what I should ask them about? .htaccess changes?

EDIT:

Support tells me that they have just rolled out the Apache 2.2.23 update to servers. Maybe it's the cause of the problem?

• Options
    bxbseanbxbsean New
    edited September 2012 Answer ✓

I believe I fixed it. I had to modify the .htaccess file under my forum subdirectory:

My forum is hosted at mydomain.com/forum, so I changed line 6 from:

RewriteEngine On
       # RewriteBase /

to:

RewriteEngine On
       RewriteBase /forum

Apparently the Apache change on BlueHost / HostMonster servers caused this line to be necessary from now on. Forum works as expected for me now, whew! Hope this helps.

• Options

Oh! I would've never guessed. Nice to have the mystery solved. :D

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

@depaulcz

thanks for confirming the issue.

@bxbsean

@peregrine New to this thread, but I was having similar issues (which I just posted about here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/168170/#Comment_168170) and I tried your fix. Changing RewriteUrls to false solved the problem.

glad it worked for you. ideally I was looking for forum members who use v.2.0.18.4 who use RewriteUrls set to TRUE who can actually get to the inbox.

It seems to be fixed in vanilla 2.1, I was just curious if anybody had it working with RewriteUrls set to TRUE (and there are no respondents) in Vanilla 2.0.18.4

Given that so many people are suddenly experiencing this problem at the same time, without any changes (seemingly) on our ends, I am beginning to suspect that each of us is using the same hosting provider, and that hosting provider suddenly changed something on us. I see that @Fastkarate is using Bluehost, and I'm using hostmonster, which is actually the same company. I'm getting on the phone with them now.

It could be the case, I suspect you have a different issue than I have. I see this problem on localhost as well.

• Options

I couldnt get it fixed on the new server mentioned. The only thing that resolved it was moving back to the old server.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Is anyone still having this problem? I'm using Vanilla 2.1. PHP Version 5.3.28 on Site5 hosting.

Doing this doesn't seem good for SEO, and it didn't fix my site so I changed it back to TRUE:
    $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = FALSE;

My forum is at /forum and my .htaccess looks like this, though I removed the comments below because the forum was converting the hash sign to Markdown. The # Modified line is at the top.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /forum
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

The errors happen during registration when it tries to see whether the email address and username are taken:

"The requested URL /dashboard/user/emailavailable was not found on this server."

"The requested URL /dashboard/user/usernameavailable/test3"

Any ideas? The URL is here if anyone wants to try registering.