Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

No notification to user for email confirmation!!

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have noticed a problem with vanilla after I saw the log of user registration at my site about the notification not been popped up telling users to confirm email before accessing forum. I created a dummy account to clear my doubt and nowhere after I clicked on sign up button it asked me to confirm my email first before I can post in the forum.

Not here the problem starts. My users think they have successfullly signed up but then see there is no option to add new posts or comment. So they leave the forum and half of them never returns.

One of my member had previously asked me how he can contribute coz he couldn't find the option to start new threads. At that point this issue didn't come into my mind and now I know what's causing the confusion?

Please suggest some solution to add a notice after the users are signed up to confirm email before continuing.

The forum is here environmentabout.com/forum

Answers

• any solution??

• I am having some problems with the email confirmation as well. I have created dummy users, and I see the notification, have clicked and it was sent to me no problem. I know other users have been able to make it work, too... BUT...

I had a buddy try and do that, and he has clicked on the re-email a bunch of times and has not seen it come through. Not even in his spam box. HELP! :(

www.firefit.com/ffchat/

• Users after registration at a forum don't receive the letter of confirmation of mail. Mail with confirmation always gets to spam, prompt what to do?

Who dealt with it write please.

Пользователи после регистрации на форуме не получают письмо подтверждения почты. Почта с подтверждением всегда попадает в спам, подскажите что делать?

Кто разобрался с этим напишите пожалуйста.

• I've got the same problem as the OP. I've been getting a lot of spam users lately so I decided to finally require e-mail activation. However when it's enabled it's not clear enough to the user that they need to click a registration link in their e-mail, unless they scroll down to the very bottom of the page (even then).

It would be great if, after registering, they were redirected to a page that said something like "Thanks for registering! However, you won't be able to post until you click the link in your e-mail)". Also, it would be great if the "Add Discussion" button still existed, but when clicked it redirected them to the same page notifying them of their need to activate their account. Or it could be shown when they try to submit the new discussion (or a comment).

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Shmizzle You could add a message (through /dashboard/message) that will be displayed on every page and is dismissable. It could serve as an extra reminder for members to confirm their email.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• kinda of a old post but I found this as a problem too.

1 its not really intuitive for users to check email after they register.

2 When they do check it most, it is in the spam folder.

Users gets this message in their registration email:
    "Why is this message in Spam? We've found that lots of messages from smtp.vanillaforums.com are spam"
    Which sorta makes the forum look shaddy.

Does anyone have any workaround to resolve this?
    @hgtonight, where do I go to edit /dashboard/message :)

No need to edit any file, just navigate to the path on your forums website.

http://forums.example.com/dashboard/message

It can also be found by clicking dashboard, then messages.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Great got it to work but now users always see the message even if they did confirm their addres. Is there a a way to only show this for unverified members?

Not easily without developing a plugin.

Dismissing a message stores that messages id in a serialized field in the db in GDN_User.Preferences. This is what it looks like when there are no other preferences set and a single message has been dismissed: a:1:{s:17:"DismissedMessages";a:1:{i:0;s:1:"1";}}

IF your only ever created one message AND the user has no other preferences set, a simple insert of that should suffice. Otherwise, I would just weather the storm of user hate.

Search first

• Otherwise, I would just weather the storm of user hate.

lol

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.