Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can I embed Youtube, Slideshare in comment?

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I'm using version 2.0.18.2 with Bluehost

I can't embed youtube video or slide from slideshare or document from scribd. It only show a link. But I can embed a flash object properly.

Can somebody help me out? Thanks you very much.

Tagged:

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

You can embed youtube videos just by pasting the link from the browser.

Unfortunately, slideshare and scribd embeds via iframes which open up a vector for malicious code. We have plans to whitelist external sites for embeds, but until then you can't embed those sites.

• TurbolegoTurbolego New
    edited February 2012

I'm looking for a solution to this very problem myself.
    I need to allow my users to post google maps, which also uses iframes.

To avoid the problem with hazardous html-code, i want to use htmlawed rules to only allow iframes starting with "<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google" to be posted.

I will try to figure out how to configure htmlawed to do this, and if i'm successful, i'll make a plugin.
    But right now i'm completely lost. =P

Btw. you can allow all your users to post raw html code using the AllowRawFormat plugin, but i would not recommend it.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@todd any news on the whitelist? @turblego, did you ever figure this out? Need to find a way to embed Gists from Github. Have had no success trying to create a filter

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    via Email
    We haven't done anything on this, no.
  • It would be great if we could embed slideshare files.