Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Plugin Idea] Passing notification to the Facebook notification stream

lessireylessirey New
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Its hard to grab people's attention when they are hooked to their Facebook !
Many doesnt even seem to check emails frequently these days.

So.. Is it technically possible to make something like a Facebook app which can transfer notifications from the forum to a user's Facebook notification stream ? besides just sending them email alerts and in-forum popups ?

Iam not a coder.. i can only do little tricks. Just sharing an idea if there is someone around who is smart :)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

the APIs are there. i doubt it's a particularly large effort, though I'm not a facebook fan so I have no immediate desire to take this on.

Basic process as i see it:

Extend User profile to include Facebook user info (or just assume the same e-mail addy was used for registration)
    find or create a hook on the send email "event" in core --> Probably gonna be some app level tweaks that should be submitted as pull request there.
    use the new hook to fire a plugin which invokes the Facebook API/SDK for PHP.
    Format and send text.

Truthfully, i think even a "non-programmer" could tackle this one provided some background in code, and a fair bit of tenacity. The Facebook API looks pretty simple from my 3 minute investigation.

Answers

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

the APIs are there. i doubt it's a particularly large effort, though I'm not a facebook fan so I have no immediate desire to take this on.

Basic process as i see it:

Extend User profile to include Facebook user info (or just assume the same e-mail addy was used for registration)
    find or create a hook on the send email "event" in core --> Probably gonna be some app level tweaks that should be submitted as pull request there.
    use the new hook to fire a plugin which invokes the Facebook API/SDK for PHP.
    Format and send text.

Truthfully, i think even a "non-programmer" could tackle this one provided some background in code, and a fair bit of tenacity. The Facebook API looks pretty simple from my 3 minute investigation.

• Options
    lessireylessirey New
    edited February 2012

@hbf thx for the input.

So its doable I guess, now there must be someone around who has some desire to test his skills :)

• Options

Yes, I would really appreciate if someone can come up with something as suggested :)

• Options

Bump..

This would be very useful for forums migrating from Facebook Groups to standalone forums, or just any forum that wants engagement. People do not generally check external website forums, but would go there if notified on facebook, witch is where most engagement occur.

APIs:
    https://developers.facebook.com/docs/games/notifications

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This would be great for someone that likes working with Facebook!

(hint: I am not interested)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.