Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

remove VOTE from voting plugin

shozen1shozen1 New
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Maybe a strange question but can anyone tell me how to remove VOTE from the voting plugin. I only need it to display comments, follows, views

thanks for your help in advance

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Tagged:

Answers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

use CSS. get the element of the votes by using FIREBUG in FIREFOX and give that element display:none

• shozen1shozen1 New
    edited February 2012

Thanks for your reply sahotataran

The built in chrome 'inspect element' does the same thing but I was assuming this would be in a php file as I want to completely get rid of the code being used to display votes both in discussions and in comments by the users.

messing around with code is a difficult job. and also if in future you need to update the plugin to match the latest version in future then you will not have to go through the code again - you know what to do - just find that element and hide it - all done - otherwise you will have to mess with the latest code again :)

• yes, you DO have a point. I will take your advice, thanks.

you r welcome :)

• I have a same idie with shozen, if you hide the element, it cause alot of CPU usages, I mean the page load time

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited February 2012

Its easily removed , personally i dislike hiding functional code with css its a bad idea IMHO.

However hiding it with display:none should not affect server resources whatsoever, as its a clientside function

• For what it's worth, I forked it and you can get it here. It should include only the PHP and CSS needed to show counts of follows, views, comments. No voting-related code anywhere.

• What exactly am I hiding? I would love to have this function, but I can't seem to find which file I should be editing.

• @kobutsu I tried your version, but I end up with your version and the vote plugin version displaying at the same time. Any suggestions?

• @422 could you tell me is it the voting.css I am editing. I have been at this one all day and put display: none just about every place possible and I can't hide voting at all.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Sorry, missed this. What do u want to achieve exactly.

Incidentally. I always, copy css changes from other css files to my custom.css.

Regaring hiding certain vote components, this can be done by hacking the plugin itself.

• @422 Yea I am trying to make it to where the voting, or votes is not displayed. That way only views, comments, and follows are displayed.

How do you hack the plugin to accomplish this?

• Ok I figured it out...I think. Please let me know if this will cause me problems later on or if this was a bad way to go about it.

I went into class.voting.plugin.php and completely deleted the section entitled //Voting. I know in the comments above everyone was saying edit the CSS not PHP, but this is the only way I figured it out. However, I am pretty terrible with editing any type of sheet lol.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Ive done that before, had no issues. Sounds right.

• @Ender,

What exactly did you remove? I tried removing a few different sections of that file and managed to remove the 'Vote' box from the categories page, but in each post there was still the voting button and the 'sort by' sectors...

Cheers.

• @ender: my plugin and Voting are incompatible. My plugin only offers a subset of what Voting does, though, so if you need voting, use Voting and not BigCount!

(I've put a very little documentation about that, and how to accurately track view counts for BigCount or Voting, into the Readme here: https://github.com/kobutsu/BigCount/blob/master/README.md )

• edited March 2012

@Kobutsu: I installed your plugin, but doesn't seem to be displaying properly. Maybe the issue is the 'Embed Friendly' theme?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/screenshot20120309at931.png/

Also unable to 'Disable' the plugin.

• For those not 100% on CSS edit the voting.css file and add

.VotesBox, .FollowsBox, {display: none !important;}

If you want to remove the comment count aswell then add display:none; under ul.DataList div.Meta strong {

• @joepc, do i just add that code anywhere in the file?

also, will that remove the voting and follows?