Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

It's not working for me on the latest version

edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

i have the latest version of vanilla, and it's not working for me. somebody please help. it's not creating a /cache/sitemap/

and the sitemap is not working and constantly gives me an error

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

We used to loop through the entire list of discussions which may provide a slightly nicer sitemap, but it's slow so it required us to generate a cached sitemap. This had to be manually regenerated and always seemed to fail on shared hosting environments and cause a lot of support questions.

I ended up changing the sitemap plugin to the current version because it is dead simple an pluggable. It generates perfectly fine sitemaps. They don't give every discussion, but every page of discussion which all search engines can crawl just fine. Their crawlers are made to parse pages an crawl links.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Starting multiple threads on same subject doesnt strengthen the issue, it dilutes and confuses. Please stick to one thread

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @422 -- i have this one working on my site with the new version.
    mysite is here: www.txtmyt.com the xml sitemap is here: http://www.txtmyt.com/sitemap.xml

i have mine working follow these steps:

go to the sitemap directory on your forums /plugin/sitemap/

download and edit class.sitemaps.plugin.php line 76

from: public function RenderMap(&$Sender, $Filename) { to: public function RenderMap($Sender, $Filename) { JUST REMOVE THE &

on your browser, go here: http://pathtovanilla/index.php?p=/sitemap.index.xml or http://pathtovanilla/index.php?sitemap.index.xml

afterwards it'll create a folder in /cache/sitemap/

if you have something in the directory above, just route it from your dashboard dashboard>routing ->sitemap ->/cache/sitemap/1235667.xml ->internal

• you can update, it's much convinient that way..

• @JoZ3_69 use the latest version, it's working :)

• @freeeeemind thanks, I will try

• edited August 2012

Great plugin!

Quick question: Why does the sitemap index only the discussions index/list pages in each category, instead of the individual discussions themselves? Just curious. I trust that your rationale is excellent :-)

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

We used to loop through the entire list of discussions which may provide a slightly nicer sitemap, but it's slow so it required us to generate a cached sitemap. This had to be manually regenerated and always seemed to fail on shared hosting environments and cause a lot of support questions.

I ended up changing the sitemap plugin to the current version because it is dead simple an pluggable. It generates perfectly fine sitemaps. They don't give every discussion, but every page of discussion which all search engines can crawl just fine. Their crawlers are made to parse pages an crawl links.

• @DanielSchulzJackson said:

Quick question: Why does the sitemap index only the discussions index/list pages in each category, instead of the individual discussions themselves? Just curious. I trust that your rationale is excellent :-)

I am also wondering the same. Why does it only gives the URL's of category pages. Why not individual discussion URL is included in the XML file.

• Hey, could that become an option in the plugin?
    a) only categories
    b) categories + all the posts?

In smaller/starting forums that would come quiet handy.