Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What information does Vanilla Forums Inc. collect from self-hosted Vanilla forums?

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

From this thread, it's clear that all the statistics of self-hosted forums are actually collected, hosted, managed, and served from the central Vanilla Forums Inc. servers.

That means, not all the data is under our control. I am planning to use Vanilla Forums, and this is worrying me a bit.

Why? (1) It would have been great if all the stats are served right from our servers. That way we'd able to easily reset data if needed. (2) What happens if our forum statistics on the central server get corrupted or lost? (Please don't tell me that it'll never/cannot happen. Sh*t happens all the time.)

Can someone clarify what 'Statistics" and what other data is collected from self-hosted Vanilla Forums?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

I think it is question of using your own statistic software, and not using vanilla analytics.

only the other hand people are happy to use google analytics, that is on their servers.

You might ask what is tier privacy policy. I also wonder about vanillicons too.

I don't really see the point of resetting statistics if it is working correctly. The whole point is to build up a picture over time, although you should able to query for more specific periods.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

I think it is question of using your own statistic software, and not using vanilla analytics.

only the other hand people are happy to use google analytics, that is on their servers.

You might ask what is tier privacy policy. I also wonder about vanillicons too.

I don't really see the point of resetting statistics if it is working correctly. The whole point is to build up a picture over time, although you should able to query for more specific periods.

grep is your friend.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

badlearner said:
    What happens if our forum statistics on the central server get corrupted or lost? (Please don't tell me that it'll never/cannot happen. Sh*t happens all the time.)

What happens when the data on your server gets corrupted or lost? The problem exists no matter where it's hosted, although considering Vanilla's entire business revolves around hosting, I would think it would actually be safer hosted with them then most any other place.

• jspautsch said:
    What happens when the data on your server gets corrupted or lost? The problem exists no matter where it's hosted, although considering Vanilla's entire business revolves around hosting, I would think it would actually be safer hosted with them then most any other place.

Think from my point of view. I would believe that my data is safer with me than anywhere else. :) And even better, when I have control over it.

I was a tadbit worried about snooping, but not anymore. I didn't mean to raise any false alarms.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Why not use gapi

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @422 : This question was an unformed one. I posted it even before I installed Vanilla Forums (for the first time). So yeah, then I didn't know there's gapi.

All I was worried about was that someone would be monitoring my forum, collecting all the stats & stuff. I guess that's not what's actually happening. (It only happens when the Vanilla stats plugin is enabled, I am told. So, all's well!)