Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Split : openID plugin, page not found, etc, etc

UnderDogUnderDog MVP
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This discussion was created from comments split from: Vanilla forum 2.0.18.1 google sign in and open id not working!!!!.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Options
    edited March 2012

I have the same problem with OpenID plugin. In fact, when I try to use it on this forum ( vanillaforum.org ), I get the same error "No servers found!". I've tried using my Gmail as well as my Yahoo ID to sign in.

Google Sign In simply gives Page Not Found error. The browser is pointing to the following URL when the error is shown:

http://www.mydomain.com/entry/openid?url=https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id&Target=/&display=popup

Are the plugins broken or something else is wrong. I have checked the forum thoroughly and many people have reported similar problems, but there's no clear solution.

I'm using:

Vanilla 2.0.18.3
    Apache version 2.2.21
    PHP version 5.3.10
    MySQL version 5.1.56
    Architecture x86_64
    Operating system linux

Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.0.18.3
    PHP Version: 5.3.10
    Operating System: Linux
    Server Software: Apache
    Referer: http://www.mydomain.com/entry/openid?Target=discussions&display=popup
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.66 Safari/535.11
    Request Uri: /entry/openid?Target=discussions&display=popup&url=myemailid%40yahoo.com&Go=Go
    Controller: LightOpenID
    Method: discover

Thanks for the help in advance.

• Options

Another update on this -

Yahoo accounts work on this Vanilla forum, but Google doesn't (gives No Servers Found error).

On my forum, neither account seems to work.

This has really become a show-stopper for me. I'll appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Options

Two updates on this:

Important one: I just had my hosting provider disable mod_security for my domain (temporarily) to test this and it fixed the problem immediately. I was able to use Google Account to sign in.

However, the OpenID login is still not working and throwing "No Servers Found!" error.

Now the problem is the security risks around disabling mod_security. Is there a better solution?

OpenID on Vanilla Forums: Earlier I mentioned that Google account doesn't work on Vanilla forums. On more testing I found that when using OpenID, if I enter a Gmail address like mygmailid@gmail.com it gives me "No Servers Found!" error. But, if I use https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id , it works fine.

But on my freshly installed site, OpenID still doesn't work despite having mod_security disabled.

Can anyone help on this?

• Options

brainwasherSame problem here. Can anyone help please? I'm following all the threads > related to this issue, but haven't seen any solution. I'm on Vanilla 2.0.18.3 (fresh install).

Thanks.

I just had my hosting provider disable mod_security for my domain (temporarily) to test this and it fixed the problem immediately. I was able to use Google Account to sign in.

However, the OpenID login is still not working and throwing "No Servers Found!" error.

But please note that disabling mod_security is NOT a good idea.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
    edited March 2012

@UnderDog

Did you or someone just ban my account "brainwasher" for some reason? I can't seem to be able to login with that account anymore. Did I do something wrong?

I'm setting up a Vanilla forum based community and had some problem with OpenID plugin. I'm following some posts related to that issue and trying to get some help. I'm not here for fun or spamming. I have better things to do than that. I posted legitimate messages and am also trying to help others with my findings. Is this forum not meant to help the community?

A good moderator should be able to distinguish a genuine user from a spammer. Remember the quote:

"With power comes great responsibility"

If my account is indeed banned, then at least let me know the reason so that I know what's wrong.

Thanks.

• Options
    brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
    edited March 2012

Google Sign In:

I worked with my hosting provider to fine tune the mod_security rule. They found that there was a particular rule that was constantly being hit. They disabled that rule and enabled back mod_security. The Google Sign In still works. They gave me the exact rule number, but said that these numbers are different for each hosting provider.

OpenID:

OpenID still doesn't work :( I get the same "No Servers Found!" error even now. It wasn't working even when mod_security was completely disabled. So, it's not a mod_security issue.

Can anyone give me any clue as to how to go about troubleshooting this issue. Does the additional information listed above contain any clues? Is it working for anyone else using Vanilla 2.0.18.3?

I'll really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

• Options

im not sure if this will fix your issue, but it did fix my issue with OpenID. Mine was going to a bonk page however....

http://fireside-chats.com/discussion/5/openid-fix-for-bonk-error