Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Copy and paste picture.

ProsperProsper ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Is there a way to copy and paste picture on Vanilla Forum other than inserting with FileUpload plugin?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• mattmatt ✭✭
    Answer ✓

There isn't any way, and for good reason.

Copy and pasting an image would be working on raw data and raw image data takes up a lot of space/memory. Working with PNG or JPG is compressed image data, a much better idea.

Answers

• Any answer on this please?

• mattmatt ✭✭
    Answer ✓

There isn't any way, and for good reason.

Copy and pasting an image would be working on raw data and raw image data takes up a lot of space/memory. Working with PNG or JPG is compressed image data, a much better idea.

• Thank you for your comment.
    I wish there will be a plug-in for forum members to add and show their pictures on the forum just like on facebook.

• I know this is an old thread. I would like to point out that Discourse can do this, so it IS possible.
    The question now is if anyone has the knowledge and would be willing to write a plugin

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

@arion-p said:
    I know this is an old thread. I would like to point out that Discourse can do this, so it IS possible.
    The question now is if anyone has the knowledge and would be willing to write a plugin

And I would like to point out that vanilla can do this too. You can just drag & drop an image into the new editor, try it out here.

• I didn't know that. In my installation it doesn't work, so I guess I have to update/install some plugin (or is it part of the main installation?).

However what I mean is really use paste to attach an image. For example in my forum I have a bug report section. Users there post bug reports and want to attach screen-shots to show the issue/bug. In Discourse they would just Alt-PrintScreen and Paste into the forum. With Vanilla they have to Alt-PrintScreen, open an image editor (e.g. MS Paint) Paste, Save, open explorer, search for the file, drag and drop it into the discussion.

That is not what I call user friendly and I can certainly not convince them to go though all that just to post an image. As a result I either get bug reports without the required screen-shots or get the bug report in email (with all the downsides of email).

PS: I don't use Discourse, I use Vanilla. But I see a feature I like in Discourse and I don't see a reason why Vanilla cannot have that feature too. It just needs someone to implement it (I would if I had enough PHP knowledge)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@arion-p The short answer is there is no easy way to do this in a cross-browser way.

The best library I found that is cross-browser is this: https://github.com/layerssss/paste.js/ and it is only IE11+, Firefox 33+, and Chrome 38+.

I mean, I will book mark it for later development, but I would be more interested in extending the advanced editor that is dropping in 2.2

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Fair enough. As far as I know it is not possible in IE10 anyway, so I think that would be OK.
    Ofc priorities have to observed.

btw :+1: on the research.