Please upgrade to 2.1.x here. The 2.0 branch is no longer being updated.
Current version is 2.1.11, released 12 June.

[Solved] [Documentation] Need help writing an application

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 Help

Hi all,

I'm trying to write an Application. I'm using as my guide.

I copy/pasted the applications/skeleton/ directory and changed everywhere the word 'skeleton' existed in that directory to my application name (agvanilla), paying attention to case.

I also changed an erroneous line at the top of class.skeletoncontroller.php from:

$this->Uses = array('Form');

public $Uses = array('Database', 'DiscussionModel', 'Form'); mimic the a similar line at the top of the /applications/vanilla/class.discussionscontroller.php file

When I navigate to http://<; ip >/agvanilla/homepage/index.php, I get:

Page Not Found
The page you were looking for could not be found.

If I add var_dump calls to trace the code in class.agvanillacontroller.php, the code in its __construct() and Initialize() function is clearly being executed through to the end of each function.

Best Answers

• edited April 2012 Answer ✓

I finally figured out what was going on. Here's how the file structure needs to be:

After copying the skeleton application and renaming all references to 'skeleton' to whatever the new controller will be known as ('agvanilla' in this situation) -- paying attention to case -- to be able to go to any of the following eqiuvalent URLs:

one must create an index method in the class.agvanillacontroller.php:

public function index() {

and then create the following file:

Fill that index.php with whatever HTML you'd like.

Now navigate to one of those URLs above. Voila, it works!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

you're the man.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

Nice simple article on creating an application. Very cool. I may have to try my hand at that. Thanks.