Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Developers Question - OOP and MVC resources.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

for wouldbe and newbies to the oop world

1) Can anybody recommend any good links or books relating to OOP. Possibly with php examples rather than java.

@PeterHughesDev @x00 @businessdad @anybodyelse

particularly discussing things like

Singletons and other design patterns

2) Can any body recommend any good links or books relating to MVC.

3) also Tim or Todd or Lincoln, what are the criteria for MVP status, and what are the benefits to the MVP besides the signature.

4) also - is there a way to get permission to post in developers category, if you are not a developer.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Best Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Oops lol.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

@peregrine said:

>

3) also Tim or Todd or Lincoln, what are the criteria for MVP status, and what are the benefits to the MVP besides the signature.

4) also - is there a way to get permission to post in developers category, if you are not a developer.

Welcome to the club :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

A one off fee is required to join the Dev area, payable to me.

$99.99 if you buy it now, but wait theres more .. sign up now and you get a copy of my howtobuildathemeinlessthan30days , on betamax

:)
    A friendly bump ( message @underdog ) he has the power !

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

Hey you charged me $150.00 for access, why does he get a deal?

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Oops lol.

• 422 said:
    A one off fee is required to join the Dev area, payable to me.

$99.99 if you buy it now, but wait theres more .. sign up now and you get a copy of my howtobuildathemeinlessthan30days , on betamax

:)
    A friendly bump ( message @underdog ) he has the power ! >

If you throw in a certification in Advanced Theme Development, and a little diploma after completion I might be able to send you the $599.99. I have a little problem with money flow right now, so if you can wire $300 to my off-shore account now, I will be sure to take the course in the near future

But Seriously, I thought I might get some good responses on some really good books or sites, didn't really think this question would enter the black-hole after a few non-sequiturs. Oh well, you can ask, but you don't always get what you want. I think I'm batting about 30-40% on answers to all of my questions at this site.

I guess I'll just accept lol because that looks like the best answer so far.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• The MVP and Developers section will come, don't worry about that.

I cannot give you proper books advices, because I haven't read books about MVC myself.
    I'll help with all your other questions as much as I can.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

@peregrine said:

>

Welcome to the club :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• thx tim. now only 1 and 2 remain unresolved.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012
    for wouldbe and newbies to the oop world

1) Can anybody recommend any good links or books relating to OOP. Possibly with php examples rather than java.

particularly discussing things like

Singletons and other design patterns

2) Can any body recommend any good links or books relating to MVC.>

Thought somebody might have some really good recommendations to aid in my quest. But I guess everybody who learned this didn't get it from a website or a book - they just obtained it through osmosis. I'd be glad to update the list below, if I get another flood of responses.

I've compiled a list from all of the responses:
    Thanks for your support :)

here it is ...

BLANK - bump