Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing the place of the right-bottom icon/symbol of TextBox?

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,
I want to change the place of what you are watching in the picture (red square)!

Is it an image or it is a symbol?

:.

which file should I amend?

Tagged:

Answers

• It's not clear what you want to change. "what you are watching in the picture (red square)!" - I am not watching anything nor do I see a red square.

However, you can find out yourself. Firebug(firebug) and other browsers allow you to click on an element in your browser to identify the element and the associated .css. Once you find the name of the element you can use grep (see google on grep) to identify the file it is in. You can find the css file that controls the attribute in firebug. Then you know what to amend. I recommend the tutorial on debugging with firefox that are on the web.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2012

peregrine said:
    It's not clear what you want to change.

It's the element which allows users to change the size of thexBOX. This picture shows what I want:

pic

peregrine said:
    I am not watching anything nor do I see a red square.

http://2imgs.com/2i/i/4fb3769d/3bdd21753a85bdbd9ad21d438e230ecd/d32b85af7c.f.jpg

However, you can find out yourself. Firebug ...

Firebug can not capture that element!

• 422422 Developer MVP

Red square usually in nternet explorer means image not found.

I think your referring to the pull handle for the textarea.

Mind you, iam over playing guessing games for one day.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422 said:

I think your referring to the pull handle for the textarea.

img

img2

and firebug was failed to recognize the element.
    How can I solve it?

• 422422 Developer MVP

U cant.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

this is not to do with vanilla or any other site it is browser specific.

textarea {resize:none} to get rid of it, other than that you care goign to have to write a javascript library to emulate what you want, it requires programming knowledge.

This is really beyond the level of detail, you are going to get in general help.

grep is your friend.

• ::

what about number of dots? Is it because of browser? Can change the default view to :: ? Other forums usually use :: !

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

take a look at the jquery resize. You could through the scripts in

http://jqueryui.com/demos/resizable/

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2012

Please more help, If you would...!

Is "dot pattern" just an image? Can I replace it with another img? If yes, where is it located?

The next picture is the 6-dot pattern of VANILLA textarea, Showed on firefox:

firefox, 6dots

the next picture is the 4-dot pattern of SMF textarea, Showed on firefox:

firefox, 6dots

the picture is the resizable pattern into textarea of both SMF and Vanilla, Showed on chrome:

chrome, 2lines

It seems that the pattern is not an img, it's created during rendering process in browser. If yes, I want to swap 6-dot pattern with 4-dot one only for FireFox at first! How?

• You have no influence over the clients setup, all you can do is disable that functionality through styling. Then replicate it.

This is more a of a general question rather then vanilla specific. I would ask on a jquery support forum. They will tutor you.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Easy , make it so only users can view your forum using chrome.

• qwentyqwenty New
    edited May 2012

interesting and odd!

different view in FF and chrome?!

• not really you can't dictate the whole interface of a browser. One of user pet hate is site that try an control their browser against their will.

People get obsessed with changing thing like scroll bars, etc, mostly it just makes a site look inconsistent.

It is not the site that makes that textbox resizeable, it is the browser settings, because often you are typing something an it has gone off the end an that can be kind of annoying, so it is useful feature to have. Why mess with it?

grep is your friend.

• at first I wished the 4-dot pattern which happens on firefox into SMF or phpBB rather than 6-dot pattern. But now, I'm more curious about it!

x00 said:
    I would ask on a jquery support forum. They will tutor you.

I asked, I didn't get an executable response: https://forum.jquery.com/topic/about-resizing-in-textarea

• Zitra said:
    at first I wished the 4-dot pattern which happens on firefox into SMF or phpBB rather than 6-dot pattern. But now, I'm more curious about it!

x00 said:
    I would ask on a jquery support forum. They will tutor you.

I asked, I didn't get an executable response: https://forum.jquery.com/topic/about-resizing-in-textarea

Not everything is cut and paste, he wants to see what you have done in order to view your work.

grep is your friend.