Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

A question about password encryption

burlingkburlingk New
edited May 2012 in Questions

I am preparing to create a few web applications. Currently, we have a Vanilla forum set up, and we want to be able to use the same password across the spectrum for all of our services.

I am preparing to write a login screen for the other services (The first one will be a sort of profile page) using Django. I want to use the existing username/password pairs that are stored in the database for Vanilla. To do this I need to know how they are encrypted so that I can do proper comparisons for authentication.

I have started digging through the Vanilla code, but it is a little complicated (the framework doesn't make digging so easy, and I am not great with PHP). :-)

Any suggestions on this topic would be very appreciated.

Even a pointer to which files are involved in authentication would be a help. :)

thirumalai

Answers

• mcu_hqmcu_hq ✭✭

I'm pretty sure that the passwords are hashed. Username is left plain text. Hashing != encryption.

• burlingkburlingk New
    edited May 2012

Perhaps "encoded for storage," is a better way of wording it. I am looking at PasswordHash.php now. I am only "rejecting" your answer because I am still digging for info and if someone has more to add, I don't want them to pass over the question because it is marked answered ^^;

• p.s. Thanks for the response though. :) It was quick.