Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Emails for all categories going to all users

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

First, I'm sorry if this has come up before. I did do a search in the forums and didn't find any others questions.

I have a forum set up with many categories. Each category has custom permissions to limit it to certain groups of users. I also had the "EmailSubscribe" plugin enabled. This worked fine until last week. Something changed and now, all comments/new discussions are emailed to all users, whether they have permissions to view that forum or not. If they click on the link in the email to a forum they do not have access to, they get a "Permission denied" message so I know the forum permissions are correct. I have disabled the "EmailSubscribe" plugin but it hasn't changed the behavior. I believe something got messed up in the database and the fix is probably a simple editing of a row in one of the tables, but I can't figure out which table or what variable. The code on the site did not change and I am using Vanilla 2.0.18.4.

Has anyone else run in to this? Any ideas on what may have happened? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Any help? The forum now sends out every new comment or discussion to every registered person, whether they have permissions to view that category or not. Any thoughts on where I can start to look? I have looked through the database and can't find any setting that looks suspicious to me. Is this how it would act if the comment/discussion was made an announcement?

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

check the notification settings and turn off anything that indicate e-mail. se if that solves it, then re-enable the e-mail notifications one by one and test.

• hbf, thanks. I went through the settings and there are two settings that seem to cause this behavior. Maybe it is expected and I just didn't know the meaning of them. They are "Notify me when people start new discussions." and "Notify me when people comment on a discussion." Are these settings supposed to send emails for every discussion/comment to every member, whether they have permissions to view that category or not? They are only available to the administrator to set, so maybe that is how they are supposed to work.

Also, if those two options are deselected, people only receive emails for discussions they have bookmarked. I have re-enabled "EmailSubscribe" to try to get people to receive emails for all new discussions/comments that they have permission to view. This works except that if they un-subscribe from a category, they do not receive any announcement discussion via email either. Is this how announcements are supposed to work? I thought they went to everyone that had permission to view that category.

Again, thanks for your help.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

I dont think its intended, but it is the behavior ive seen as well. Feel free to document i bug report in github

• I've never used github before and so don't know how to go about documenting a bug report there. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!