Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

True SSO

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have connected my Wordpress install and my Vanilla install with the WP plugin "WP Vanilla Connect" and jsConnect on the Vanilla end. I tried the standard "Vanilla Forum" WP plugin and it just didn't work...

Right now, it detects the WP user and will let them login with clicking a single button on Vanilla. There's some things I need to remove -- it lets you register in Vanilla and bypass WP entirely which I can't have -- but I think I can get rid of them by fussing with the theme.

I'm wondering about true SSO. If I have a user land on Vanilla who is not logged into WP, and has never logged into Vanilla, it doesn't see them. When I transition, this is going to be the case for a LOT of users and I need a clean way to shepherd them into Vanilla. If I tell them "You must login over here and then login over there again" ... it's not going to go well and my participation rate will drop. If I use the URL for members who are signed in.. it works.. but I am unsure how to bundle all this together to be truly effective.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited July 2012

There's some things I need to remove -- it lets you register in Vanilla and bypass WP entirely which I can't have -- but I think I can get rid of them by fussing with the theme.

Go to your dashboard -> registration -> check "SSO only"

I'm wondering about true SSO. If I have a user land on Vanilla who is not logged into WP, and has never logged into Vanilla, it doesn't see them. When I transition, this is going to be the case for a LOT of users and I need a clean way to shepherd them into Vanilla. If I tell them "You must login over here and then login over there again" ... it's not going to go well and my participation rate will drop. If I use the URL for members who are signed in.. it works.. but I am unsure how to bundle all this together to be truly effective.

I understand your pain completely. This is what you will want to do:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/152012/#Comment_152012

Additionally, I removed the Sign-Out link in my theme and replaced it by a link to my sign-out page of my website (I don't use WP...).

• Options

I will mess around with that, thank you. I found it earlier but wasn't sure if that was the right route or not -- can't believe I didn't notice the "SSO only" button on registration. doh!