Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

If you have an feedback for the Category Image Header Plugin - make it here.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

if it works for anybody, please comment to say it works as stated.

upgraded plugin this morning.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• Options

I'm using 1.2 version with Vanilla 2.1, and it's working great - just installed and this is before i've applied any changes to CSS.

Many thanks peregrine!

• Options

Hi, Thanks for the plugin and I would really like to get it going as a need to display a different header for each category but it does not work for me. I installed the latest version on vanilla 2.0.18. when I load 'all categories" image1.png shows. When I go the a different category nothing shows up. I don't think I have installed it incorrectly and have not changed any further files. I don't see any options on the dashboard either. Can you please recommend some advice I can try to implement this plugin. Thank you in advance.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2013

@javo
    You need to load the images into the img file. Remember the order they are in so they go with each category.
    write the title of the category on the line that the image should go with. Filling out the last line hides all the images from all the categories headers.

I have it on my forum if you wish to see it working. I have 5 categories using the image for header.

http://www.vrijvlinder.com/forum/categories/all

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@vrijvlinder

Just to say, visiting your site via FIrefox, the focus for your hyperlinks is about 10px or so above the linked text.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

< presuming this could equally be a Div with specific ID rather than an image ? or not ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@whu606 said:
    vrijvlinder

Just to say, visiting your site via FIrefox, the focus for your hyperlinks is about 10px or so above the linked text.

I noticed that too. I think it is because of the custom cursor. Should be able to correct it in css using cursor position. :-)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Sorry but I don't see it happening on any computer or use agent . It may happen if you have a font size setting in your browser. The cursor may be large but it is not what would cause this to happen, I think if the size of fonts are not the same normal and on hover then they act strange. I don't use on focus at all on the links.

If you could post a screen or show the html in the source where that is happening maybe I could figure it out. But I don't see it and can't fix what I can't see :(

• Options
    edited May 2013

@vrijvlinder

I put some screen grabs in a pdf file.

Firefox 20.1 - no zoom.

You can clearly see that the focus for the hyperlink is way off where it should be.

It doesn't happen in IE for me, but I think that is because it doesn't load the custom pointer.

vrij.pdf 966.6K
  • Options

@whu606

Thanks for taking the time to make the screenshots. I think I know what it is you think is happening, There is a fly out options button that is triggered and appears when only when logged in, however that section remains live to hover over. And you can trigger the hover color of the link from quite a distance from the link. I believe the purpose is to also activate the options button or unhide it..so one can see t is there.

So to see if I understand this better, the links themselves do not jump around 10px right? That would be terrible!

What happens is the hover color link gets triggered from a further distance than normal. I think that s normal. That is suposed to happen.

This only happens in the indexes where there is an options flyout right?.

It doesn't happen in IE for me, but I think that is because it doesn't load the custom pointer.

yea most does not work in IE , no surprise there ....strange that it (custom curser) used to only work in IE...

• Options

@vrijvlinder

There's nothing I think is happening, just what IS happening!

As a user, even a visitor, I would expect the hyperlinked text to change to hover colour when I moved the mouse over it.

I wouldn't expect to have to move the mouse some 10 or more pixels above the link.

If I move the mouse directly over the link, I can't select it, so it isn't simply the colour effect that is missing, it is the possibility to activate the link unless the mouse is X far above the link.

None of the hyperlinks work unless the mouse is significantly above the actual text.

It's your site, so it's up to you if you choose to do something about it, but it is not a usual user experience.

• Options
    edited May 2013

That is very strange indeed. I will remove the custom cursor and ask you later to check it out to see if it got fixed. I think it must be a pc thing?

ok I removed the cursor it is now default. If it still does that then it must be something else causing it.....

• Options

@vrijvlinder

It must have been the cursor.

Everything works as expected now.

• Options

Thanks for checking it out , I have had that cursor for a long long time maybe 6 months and no one said anything was wrong before, I wonder if some of the new plugins I installed affected it's performance? I noticed in your pic the cursor was much bigger than I see it in my computer...too bad I liked my cursor, was easy to see "(

• Options

Hi,
    I think there is a bug or something I couldn't fix.
    I have 5 categories currently and have 5 different header images for all.
    In category view, the sixth one is in fact "all categories" on top of categories list.

Now all categories switch fine EXCEPT the home view where system inputs 5th category's image for no reason. After some refreshes and clicks it returns to normal.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

post a snapshot of what you see and where you think there is a bug.

in the snapshot show the url at the top.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Hi Peregrine,

Thanks for this really useful plugin. It works really well.

I have a rather irrelevant question: where can I get the theme that you use here (see picture below) in this website?

Or is it a custom theme?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

Ask @OnlyAnExcuse he created it for his own site. it looks like a modified vanilla version 2.1 theme

• Options

Thanks a lot for the reply peregrine!

• Options

This is a great plug-in and it is working well for me! Quick Question, how do you change the default size that displays at the top of the category so that all images are the same size? For example, I used a picture that was 500x540 pixels and the image was enlarged to 700x742 when viewed within the category. Is there a way to make the images to either show the original size, or a predefined default size for consistency? Thanks!

• Options

the default width is set in design/cih.css set it to what you want. or crop images to similar sizes before uploading.