Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hide category / discussion

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I use the Categories and discussions view for my homepage. I have a category I'd like to hide completely, IE, no links to it on the page, but still accessible by the direct link to the category (as can be seen in the category management page in admin dashboard)

If this isn't possible, hiding discussions in the same fashion would be acceptable too.

I've done some poking around but haven't come across anything yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Answers

• Options

Actually, I believe 'unfollowing' the category would be enough for me, however when I click unfollow it still shows up on the home page even though I'm in 'show followed categories only' mode.

• Options

After you install this plugin what else do you need to do.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/hidecategory-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I need it to be functional. That works great on the all discussions page but as I said, I use the categories and discussion view, which it doesn't seem to effect.

• Options

I need it to be functional.>

and what function would that be just hiding the links everywhere for the hidden categories.

So if you explain in detail or put some circles around images of what you want to happen and where maybe I can help you. When i see examples of what you want to do I can visualize better.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

maybe I can help you

changed my mind - looks like this is going to drag on for days

• Options

Okay thanks for the help.

I would like mine to function as the one on here. http://vanillaforums.org/categories

If you go to the top right of the categories on the right, a cog dropdown appears allowing you to hide the category.

In the 'Category Management' box on the left, as long as I am "only viewing followed categories" mode (IE, the ones that we didn't 'hide' earlier on) The category then disappears from both the list on the left and the discussions on the right, just how I want it to.

The plugin does this, but it doesn't do it for the view I use as my homepage. Regardless of whether I'm following a category or not, and definitely being in 'only show followed categories' mode, the category still appears in this view. Whereas on these forums it doesn't. - http://vanillaforums.org/categories/discussions

• Options

You no longer need that plugin since it is integrated to the new version of VF

• Options
    NLPemanNLPeman New
    edited January 2015

Hi everybody
    I would like to have the option to hide discussions.
    It is easier to hide a category without even any addon.
    Do the following:
    1. Create a role called "Gost".
    2. Dashboard / Forum / Categories --> Select the category you want
    3. Edit
    4. Click: This category has custom permissions
    5. Remove all permissions except for "Gost" role.
    As long as nobody has this role, nobody can see this category :)

Now, you help me hide a discussion please? :smiley:

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@NLPeman said:
    Hi everybody
    I would like to have the option to hide discussions.
    It is easier to hide a category without even any addon.
    Do the following:
    1. Create a role called "Gost".
    2. Dashboard / Forum / Categories --> Select the category you want
    3. Edit
    4. Click: This category has custom permissions
    5. Remove all permissions except for "Gost" role.
    As long as nobody has this role, nobody can see this category :)

Now, you help me hide a discussion please? :smiley:

Put the discussion in the "Gost" category?

There is no existing solution I can think of that exists right now.

If you want private conversations, send a message. It can have multiple participants.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.