Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Use of email in Vanilla

naquadaqnaquadaq New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

I'm working at creating a LTI plugin for SSO. In order to pass the IMS certification, I need to support the creation of a user without email due to the LTI field that contains the email is recommended but not obligatory and it should work in this cases as well.
The problem I'm coming across is that when you create a user in Vanilla, the email is necessary.

Any suggestion to manage this problem? What is used the email for?
In my case, the creation of users will be done through the SSO and in my SSO plugin I can change some features of Vanilla.

I came up with the idea of using as email, if not provided, the admin email, so that it received the notifications that could exist in Vanilla but Vanilla complained that this email is used by another user. So it seems it must be unique.

It is worth relaxing this condition in the plugin or I can have problems by doing it?
I will used the authentication process just with the SSO, never directly.

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Vanilla does send out quite a few emails to users as notifications and whatnot so you will have issues if a user doesn't have an email. If you want to add the system email I recommend you use the "+" syntax in emails.

So let's say your system email is system@domain.com and you are SSOing a new user with a username of felix. Just set their email to system+felix@domain.com.

• Thank you Todd. Since it is important having the users' email so that they receive notifications I think I will add a screen to ask for the email in the middle of the SSO process. I have, though, to confirm this with the IMS people to get my plugin certified.