Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[split] How to split a single comment?*

UnderDogUnderDog MVP
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This discussion was created from comments split from: Changing/Adding Paging location to the top..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• I apologize in advance for asking a question that everyone else already seems to know the answer to :-| I don't see how to implement paging? I've found the /applications/vanilla/views/discussion/index.php page, but the entire posting seems to be included in one line:

<!-- the entire comments are displayed here -->
    <?php echo $this->FetchView('comments'); ?>

Maybe my situation is different. Some of my posts are long, and I want to paginate them. How can I do that?

Thank you

• this discussion refers to paging of discussion topic and for all comments within discussions

what you seem to be saying is
    you want to split a single comment

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

@rstober - sample of plugin under production.

I'll post some images of comment splitting of the Discussion (first item topic) under discussion page and the splitting of comments

first image is

split of the first item on discussion page (4 splits) (page 1 of first discussion)
    the second comment is split 5 times (5 pages) (page 1 of comment)

third image is same as image 1 but showing page 2 of the split discussion (top item)

second image is an example when total number of comments for discussion subject span 2 pages. The individual comment on page 2 of the comments - spans 5 pages.

Each paginator only - change paging for the item involved.

e.g. clicking paginator to move to page 2 of a comment, will not change page number of another comment with splits.

pretty confusing eh.

sample text in comment to split a page - see [PageBreak]  - 
    the code for the  top comment in image 2

test comment 10  - Five Pages Breaks page 1
    [PageBreak]
    test comment 10  - Five Pages Breaks - page 2
    [PageBreak]
    test comment 10  - Five Pages Breaks - page 3
    [PageBreak]
    test comment 10  - Five Pages Breaks - page 4
    [PageBreak]
    test comment 10  - Five Pages Breaks - page 5

the individual comment paging has 5 pages that are split

notice below the 2 paging for second page of all comments for discussion

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• The first image shows the options I've got selected in the HidePanel control panel.

The second image shows that the original category panel displayed above the new one that HidePanel is causing to be displayed. I can use HidePanel to hide that original panel, right?

The third image shows that I can't toggle (expand and collapse) the categories in the categories panel. Was that your intention?

I haven't tried the PageBreak functionality yet.

Bear in mind that the most important things were 1) always show the categories panel and 2) pagination within an article. So you've already accomplished the minimum requirement.

Thank you,

Robert

• That ok. I'll try to have more comments waiting for you. I like the HidePanel plugin. The only way it could e improved is if I could toggle the top-level categories. I'm looking at the pagination now.

• Also, Great Job! I'll happiliy pay you for these two items. Please send me the paypal account information or I'll send you a check. Your call. Either way, send me the info. And thanks for your help! Once we close this business we'l see what's next. And there's plenty of room for improvement in the site.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

@rstober pm me please.

• @rstober

@rstober said:
    I like the HidePanel plugin. The only way it could e improved is if I could toggle the top-level categories.

done if you make the change provided in the link below

see this - for how to change -

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/167175/#Comment_167175