Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Unable to arrange categories

3antz3antz New
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi there,

I can't seem to rearrange my categories on the backend. Per my understanding, all I had to do is to click on the category and move it up or down. However, when I hover my cursor over the category it changes to the cross-hair and I couldn't drag and move it. It is appearing as static text. When I click and drag it highlights the wordings instead.

I've tried disabling all the addons and replacing with the old jquery.js (part of the requirements of the twitter bootstrap theme was to replace with the latest) to no avail.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Appreciate if anyone could lend a helping hand.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Heya,

There seems to be quite a few reasons as to why this sometimes happen - could you provide a link to your site?

//Kasper

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

Hi kasper, thanks for your reply. You can visit my website at http://bit.ly/PPcTcR

Thanks in advance for assisting.

• Options

Hi Kasper, just wondering if you managed to spot where the problem is? Thanks.

• Options

Could you perhaps PM me an account with admin rights so I can take a look at the dashboard?

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Are there any Javascript errors on the manage categories page?

• Options

In 2.0.18.4

I always get an alert Oops - "Didn't save order properly"
    when I shift categories around by clicking and dragging.
    Then I click save - and it all works with changes I made.
    Not quite sure if this is a similar problem.

error comes from

applications/vanilla/js/categories.js

check to see if that program is loaded when you are in the dashboard

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@kasperisager sure will PM you an account. Thanks for assisting.

@Lincoln no I didn't notice any errors at all backend or frontend. Thanks for assisting.

@peregrine I didn't get any errors. The problem is I can't even click and drag. It is just appearing as static text. I couldn't reorder the categories. Thanks for assisting.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

If its twitter bootstrap - you are correct and kasper is the man to see)

in standard vanilla 2.0.18.4 - with standard theme
    applications/vanilla/js/categories.js
    controls movements of categories and calls

/js/library/nestedSortable.1.2.1/jquery.ui.nestedSortable.js

that is why I told you to see if they are loaded - you can check in firebug

if they are not loaded - you will not get errors and you will get your result of inability to move categories.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine I'm not entirely sure if I am doing it right. I've installed firebug > load into admin and categories > clicked on script > check the list of files loaded but I couldn't the js that you mentioned. Am I doing it right? Sorry not much of a developer.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Everything loads as it's supposed to. I'm not so sure about using jQuery 1.8.0 though - I've run into a couple of bugs using it with Vanilla. Could you try downgrading to 1.7.2?

P.S.: Are you working on the site currently? I'm getting an error trying to access it.

• Options

@kasperisager yeah I was changing some configurations. sorry about that. It should be back to normal now. I will try downgrading jquery.

• Options

I've downgraded to 1.7.2 but the problem persists. Not sure if this is related but the apache was recompiled with PDO and my provider advised me to remove the php.ini as I was experiencing the PDO error on VF.
    Any chance this could be related?

• Options

Phew... I think that is way beyond my capabilities :-) I've never really gotten the hang of all that server-stuff.

• Options

I went ahead and reinstalled VF but seems like the problem still persists ... strange. is 2.1 stable yet? :)

• Options

Not yet, they're still pushing new commits quite often. I use it myself though and if you can live with it not being stable then it works perfectly.

• Options

No worries :) I'll live with it for now. It isn't something major but would be nice if I could move the categories around.

Nevertheless, many thanks @kasperisager for your help. Also thanks to @Lincoln and @peregrine

• Options

I was able to fix this problem by reverting my version of jquery.js (in /js/library/) back to v1.6.2. I was originally having this problem with jquery 1.8.1

hope that helps!