Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Two questions... does vanilla slow down if you have too many posts, and if so is there a fix?

My questions are:

1) If you're hitting the 60,000 post count range, or even 100,000, is there something one should do "archive" wise in order to keep the forum speedy? I guess the better question is, is there a certain number one gets to where they need to clean things up somehow?

2) Is there a way (other than Forums > Advanced > Archive) to archive old posts in "lite" fashion?

Thanks.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

No, Vanilla doesn't slow down with large numbers of posts. There should be no reason to archive anything.

• Thanks, Lincoln. Also, one last question... frequently now, I'd say once every 15-20 posts, after attempting to "post" a comment, it doesn't quite go through. It looks like it's trying, and the text field box my post is inside changes forms, like it's sending, but it never does. If I hit "post" again it gives me a duplication error, however, the post never ends up posting, because if i refresh, it isn't there, and if I copied the text exactly, i can hit back, paste it in and hit "post" (and all is well). It's not posting in these scenarios, i've refreshed, double checked, etc, and it's definitely trying to respond, as again, the text field box changes shapes, scales down, but almost like you can still click in the box and edit the message. It's NOT a connectivity problem, as like I said it happens often, on different connections, different browsers, different computers.. It also seems to be getting worse.

Any reports of this or ideas what may be happening? This is what made me think I was reaching some threshold of having too many posts without archiving, but clearly that's not the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I wish I had a screen shot. I'll try to snap one next time it happens.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@Smitty Have you noticed any correlation to when this happens and when Vanilla is trying to save a draft? I've noticed a very infrequent issue related to trying to comment while it's saving a draft before.

• No, i haven't noticed it when saving a draft, but I guess this could be the case. The only reason I'd think that isn't the case, and I could be wrong, is because if I do hit post, it says something to the effect that it's a duplicate post, and permission issue - I wish I had a screen shot!

No drafts are being saved, at least I'm not hitting save draft, when posting these. I haven't had any complaints about it, and the forum is 1500 strong (60,000 posts), so you'd think I'd hear complaints by now... that said, I experience it, as I said, on all different computers, different browsers and at different times. So it could be that I'm posting so much, as I run the place, that i run into it enough to notice... others might think it's a one off, so again, I don't think it has anything to do with connectivity, browser, or drafting. And the box scales down about 1/4 the size after I hit the "post" button, so as I said, it's trying to respond and post the question - and thinks that it did post it if I hit submit again (but doesn't post it even though it thinks it's posting it).

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Drafts auto-save periodically.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@Lincoln said:
    Drafts auto-save periodically.

i had this problem when i was running on some slower, older hardware. i turned off the auto-draft feature (via-plugin) to eliminate the issue.

doubt i would still have the issue on my new hardware, but i've left auto-draft off since it was more of a nuisance than a savior. (my opinion, FWIW)

• Thanks, fellas! I installed that plugin, so far so good, I'll report back!