Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What things you can put in forum sidebar?

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

So I am in the process of designing new theme for 2.1 and I have got plenty of space in sidebar. Can you guys help me on choosing what things I can keep in sidebar? Some suggestions -

1. Facebook like box - but can divert away members
  2. Recent activity - but the plugin does not work
  3. Recent posts from wordpress
  4. Popular posts

What you guys have put in there?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2012

You could put forum stats in it? Or bookmarks? Here are a couple of "quickies":

{module name="RecentActivityModule"}
    {module name="SiteTotalsModule"}
    {module name="RecentUserModule"}
    {module name="BookmarkedModule"}

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

Assuming the proposed badges plugins ever gets made, it would be cool to have a block that shows the community leaders for various badges.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

For the AA forums , kegs of beer would be nice, virtual kegs of course...nah seriously now, I think an html input box for messages, like a shout box , a video chat box, a radio, a video recorder to make and post videos of posting videos, how about a Skype widget ? The possibilities r endless... :) a XAT box lol

• Options
    mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    • Popular threads by week, month, topic, etc
    • Recently viewed threads
    • 'Up and coming'
    • Popular search terms for week/month/etc
  • Options

Advertising.

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Now, this is the community I am talking about. Thanks a lot guys :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I inserted: {module name="SiteTotalsModule"} into my my main .tpl file for my bootstrap template and I get: Error: SiteTotalsModule doesn't exist. So I obviously need to install the SiteTotalsModule. How do I do this? Do I download it and upload it to the modules folder. I thought this would be an easy find in search, but I can't seem to find the solution anywhere. Thanks for any help.

• Options
    edited March 2013

@rconserta : I think for lesser versions than 2.1 you use :

{asset name="SiteTotalsModule"}

• Options

Thank you for the quick reply, I inserted the code you gave me and now it's just blank, no error, no totals. Are you sure it's not something I have to install, is it already installed by default then?

• Options

well you do need to have the plugin yes, I just gave an example of how to add modules to the V2.0 tpl

Not sure if site totals is a plugin

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

@rconserta
    SiteTotalsModule is built into vanilla 2.1 in (as far as i can see). It does not appear to a downloadable plugin for vanilla 2.0.18.4 (unless someone proves me wrong).
    applications/dashboard/modules/class.sitetotalsmodule.php

the way to add it is - to get vanilla 2.1

@rconserta
    But -

it is up to you the questioner to specify the version of vanilla your question pertains to

• or you will be off on a wild goose chase going after red herrings. As some "people" are known to throw out a few red herrings now and then :).

• so what version are you asking about?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I thought 2.1 was still in development. I know I got this to work with 2.0.18.4 before, I just have to figure it out again.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

ok. - you got "sitetotals module" to work before in 2.0.18.4. my mistake, I didn't think it was available.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

As some "people" are known to throw out a few red herrings now and then :).

10 4

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

@rconserta

now I see the problem - you posted a question relating to 2.0.18.4 in a discussion specifically related to vanilla 2.1, when it would have been better to start your own discussion relating to site totals and/or items available in 2.0.18.4>

@vrijvlinder said:

10 4

now I'm confused is that 10-4 or 2.0.18.4 :)

• Options
    edited March 2013

ten four as in roger that, I know I am the one wearing the red hearing shoe....some of the time but I guessed they were on 2.0 that is why I mentioned lesser versions than 2.1 ....red herring=pista falsa mine was not so falsa in this case no? lol

• Options

Ah yes I see, should've caught that. I just installed sitetotals module and views over from 2.1 into 2.0.18.4, it works but without the theme styling. Guess I'll have to do some custom styling for it.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

@rconserta

maybe you could post it as a plugin - when you get it completed.

• Options

Absolutely I will.

• Options

Yes or at least post the method !