Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Custom PHP page that receives Username and Password and authenticates vanilla user.

NileNile New
edited January 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I'm new to vanilla and this is actually my first time installing it. I transferred to vanilla from smf cause it sounded like it has everything I need in a smaller less complicated way.

Anyway, on to my question. So I'm making this php page that receives Username and Password. And I want to authenticate it from my vanilla forum users, can anyone please point me to the right direction. Thanks.

Answers

• Options

NVM I saw phpass please close this thread

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2013

Well that is fairly low level stuff, assuming you are even using that hash

Best to create under the garden/vanilla framework, then check the session is valid. You can do it all yourelf and there are several custom pages/cms solutions.

Passing usernames and password is generally avoided except on sign on, sessions are checked in a more secure way.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Actually the php page receives username and pass from a desktop application so I had it receive the username and password via get then specify return codes if the username and password was a valid forum account.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2013

This is best done with a proper SSO?Connect solution, or you would create a security hole if you are not careful.

Why not use OpenAuth/OpenID for example?

You generally POST data.

grep is your friend.