Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Local Vanilla Test

Is there a way I can test the new master branch 2.1 on a local machine? The problem is it gets broken and no style seems to work.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@EdelAli

Lots of people have working local test installs of 2.1

If you want help, you need to be much more exact.

it gets broken and no style seems to work.

doesn't give any useful information.

What have you done, what has worked, and what doesn't work how you expected it to?

• Options

Clear the cache and doublecheck the location of the style.css file, because the situation you are discribing looks like just a missing .css file. Did you upgrade or fresh install? Which branch did you install from? gitHub Url?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

It's likely your PHP version. Despite what the 2.1 documentation states, PHP 5.3 is required. Vanilla staff has stated they hope to have 2.1 5.2 compatible when it comes out of beta. Search for the specific exact PHP versions as I don't remember off the top of my head.

• Options
    EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited February 2013

It's a fresh install. I believe I downloaded the master branch, it says vanilla 2.1a33. In case I'm using words incorrectly, It's an offline WampServer 2.2 simulation I'm trying to run vanilla on, and PHP is 5.3.9. Here's a screenshot:I'm uploading a screenshot.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

check file paths

• Options
    fr3em1ndfr3em1nd ✭✭
    edited February 2013

@EdelAli go to /conf/config.php

$Configuration['DebugAssets'] = TRUE;

this is an issue of having php 5.2 on localhost, vanilla 2.1 runs on 5.3

but if the problem still exists you could do $Configuration['DebugAssets'] = TRUE;

or you could add to your .htaccess 5.3 triggers i'll send the codes later.

you could doublecheck which php you are running by putting other .php file to your localhost and echo phpinfo();

• Options
    EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited February 2013

@422 Actually checked Discussions page source and there was some stylesheet not found at
    /vanilla2.1/utility/css/style/style-d37a9620.css, for which I couldn't find a similar path on my computer, either.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited February 2013

Firebug is still a cool tool, to check for broken links to files like CSS, JS and so on. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited February 2013

It's no longer local vanilla install, to be honest. Put it online here and here and the issue still persists. Am I the only one with Vanilla2.1 installation issues, then? Links are version 2.1a35.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

erm ...
    weird url > http://etrewp.ir/ezdevaj.ma/forum/ is that right ???

and your other link, the css isnt loading. I am not sure what folder Utility is , as I dont have vanilla 2.1 and not sure if thats vanilla structure.

Are you sure you have setup paths correctly ?

• Options
    EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited February 2013

well :) yeah, that's right. I believe there's no wrong path I'm aware of.
    @kasperisager I'm glad you're answering me. And thank you for the complementary edit. My WampServer local machine reports that it's PHP 5.3.9; but as I just moved online, it seems you are more than right there. I tried to put that on php3 and now it's Class 'PDO' not found stuff. I'm trying to catch related stuff on the forum regarding that PDO as I see it's been mentioned several times. Not sure if that would solve the problem. The issue with my local install keeps happening, though.

• Options
    EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited March 2013

@422 @kasperisager Forgot to let you know, my hostman says PDO is not activated on PHP3 in our systems but we'll take care shortly. I'm not assigning any of yours that kindly helped as answers to my discussion, though; simply because I did not make it happen with my Local Vanilla Test. That is what the title actually reads...

• Options

Guess what! While attempting a fresh Habari local install -which, on my part, has failed to date- I accidentally happened to activate Wamp Apache rewrite_module (mod_rewrite, that is to say) and yeah! As concerns Vanilla 2.1a on my localhost, now it flawlessly worked. Thank God.