Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to integrate Meebo Bar to Vanilla Forums?

edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I badly need the meebo bar. It is asking to insert 2 scripts between body tags of HTML page. The first one should be just after the tag and second one should be before the tag. I do not want to use the pockets plugin as it break my site. Any ideas? your help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

A quick solution could be cloning the theme you're using (i.e making a copy if the folder) and modify the template to include the required script. That way you could change the clone and, in case of errors, go back to current theme.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

add it in default.master.php

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@businessdad said:
    A quick solution could be cloning the theme you're using (i.e making a copy if the folder) and modify the template to include the required script. That way you could change the clone and, in case of errors, go back to current theme.

Okay, but as @422 said, I'll try it in the default.master.php

@422 said:
    add it in default.master.php

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that :)

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@iChocolate

Those two bits of advice should be used in tandem!

At the very least, make sure you back up you default.master.php file before you fiddle with it!

• Options

If you want change the default.master.php it needs to be copied in your theme, you don't modify the core. Like businessdad says if you are making modification to a theme copy an rename it, and apply the new theme. That way there won't be a problem when you upgrade.

This could also be done with the appropriate hook.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited February 2013

@whu606 said:
    iChocolate

Those two bits of advice should be used in tandem!

At the very least, make sure you back up you default.master.php file before you fiddle with it!

Oh! Yes, thanks for the advice :) I'll backup and then try to add these script codes :)

@x00 said:
    If you want change the default.master.php it needs to be copied in your theme, you don't modify the core. Like businessdad says if you are making modification to a theme copy an rename it, and apply the new theme. That way there won't be a problem when you upgrade.

This could also be done with the appropriate hook.

Yes, I'm using a custom theme, there is a file called default.master.php :) First, I'll make a copy of it named backup_default.master.php and then I'll do the experiment! Thanks :)

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

in your theme folder create a folder called views, copy your default.master.php from core into here and modify that as BusinessDad suggested.

• Options

@> @422 said:

in your theme folder create a folder called views, copy your default.master.php from core into here and modify that as BusinessDad suggested.

Okay :) Sure :)

• Options

I tried that script code at the beginning of body tag in default.master.php, also between the body tags, and before the tag. But none of these works.
    I'm getting BONK error! I reverted the changes using backup.

Is there anyother way? I think the default.master.php is not the right file to insert the Meebo code. Anyone please help.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

perhaps post what you have added !

• Options

I already posted but my post will be visible when it will be approved by the vanilla forum moderators :)

But you can try the demo here:

https://bar.meebo.com/setup/1/

Signup with any email id, you don't need to confirm it and then you can test :)

Thanks for helping me :)

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

is that link your website ?

• Options

@422 said:
    is that link your website ?

Yes, it does link to my site. And the above link I posted is for setting up an account for Meebo :)
    Can you try it on your forum? and guide me where to put that code? :)

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

I still dont see a link to your site. Sorry I am not loading meedbo on any of my sites, if you wish to show us the code you are adding and links to your site then happy to look.

• Options

@422 said:
    I still dont see a link to your site. Sorry I am not loading meedbo on any of my sites, if you wish to show us the code you are adding and links to your site then happy to look.

Yes, I already posted code but this forum is not displaying it (as the post is under moderation or something), I've used tags.

I contacted the Meebo support, let's see if they can help :) thanks :)

• Options

@422 said:

Here is what Meebo setup says:

If you host your own site, you'll have to edit the template for your Web site in order to add the Meebo Bar. Most blog platforms have a setting for edit HTML or edit template where you can modify the code directly.

In your template, immediately following the opening <body> tag, insert the following code: 

window.Meebo||function(c){function p(){return["<",i,' onload="var d=',g,";d.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].", j,"(d.",h,"('script')).",k,"='//cim.meebo.com/cim?iv=",a.v,"&",q,"=",c[q],c[l]? "&"+l+"="+c[l]:"",c[e]?"&"+e+"="+c[e]:"","'\"></",i,">"].join("")}var f=window, a=f.Meebo=f.Meebo||function(){(a._=a._||[]).push(arguments)},d=document,i="body", m=d[i],r;if(!m){r=arguments.callee;return setTimeout(function(){r(c)},100)}a.$= {0:+new Date};a.T=function(u){a.$[u]=new Date-a.$[0]};a.v=5;var j="appendChild", h="createElement",k="src",l="lang",q="network",e="domain",n=d[h]("div"),v=n[j](d[h]("m")), b=d[h]("iframe"),g="document",o,s=function(){a.T("load");a("load")};f.addEventListener? f.addEventListener("load",s,false):f.attachEvent("onload",s);n.style.display="none"; m.insertBefore(n,m.firstChild).id="meebo";b.frameBorder="0";b.name=b.id="meebo-iframe"; b.allowTransparency="true";v[j](b);try{b.contentWindow[g].open()}catch(w){c[e]= d[e];o="javascript:var d="+g+".open();d.domain='"+d.domain+"';";b[k]=o+"void(0);"}try{var t= b.contentWindow[g];t.write(p());t.close()}catch(x){b[k]=o+'d.write("'+p().replace(/"/g, '\\"')+'");d.close();'}a.T(1)}({network:"faadoo_ha67ho"});

In your template, immediately prior to the closing , insert the following code:

Meebo("domReady");

• Options

@422 said:

Here is what Meebo setup says:

If you host your own site, you'll have to edit the template for your Web site in order to add the Meebo Bar. Most blog platforms have a setting for edit HTML or edit template where you can modify the code directly.

In your template, immediately following the opening <body> tag, insert the following code: 

window.Meebo||function(c){function p(){return["<",i,' onload="var d=',g,";d.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].", j,"(d.",h,"('script')).",k,"='//cim.meebo.com/cim?iv=",a.v,"&",q,"=",c[q],c[l]? "&"+l+"="+c[l]:"",c[e]?"&"+e+"="+c[e]:"","'\"></",i,">"].join("")}var f=window, a=f.Meebo=f.Meebo||function(){(a._=a._||[]).push(arguments)},d=document,i="body", m=d[i],r;if(!m){r=arguments.callee;return setTimeout(function(){r(c)},100)}a.$= {0:+new Date};a.T=function(u){a.$[u]=new Date-a.$[0]};a.v=5;var j="appendChild", h="createElement",k="src",l="lang",q="network",e="domain",n=d[h]("div"),v=n[j](d[h]("m")), b=d[h]("iframe"),g="document",o,s=function(){a.T("load");a("load")};f.addEventListener? f.addEventListener("load",s,false):f.attachEvent("onload",s);n.style.display="none"; m.insertBefore(n,m.firstChild).id="meebo";b.frameBorder="0";b.name=b.id="meebo-iframe"; b.allowTransparency="true";v[j](b);try{b.contentWindow[g].open()}catch(w){c[e]= d[e];o="javascript:var d="+g+".open();d.domain='"+d.domain+"';";b[k]=o+"void(0);"}try{var t= b.contentWindow[g];t.write(p());t.close()}catch(x){b[k]=o+'d.write("'+p().replace(/"/g, '\\"')+'");d.close();'}a.T(1)}({network:"faadoo_ha67ho"});

In your template, immediately prior to the closing , insert the following code:

Meebo("domReady");