Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Backing up VanillaForums

I have found several topics touching on this, but my question is a bit more basic than some of the discussions I've found on the topic...

1) Can one back-up Vanilla Forums via the Vanilla Forum Dashboard? Export feature, or add-on?
2) I back up my site manually using an FTP client, where I grab all my site files and copy them (obviously my forum files are in there)... is this sufficient enough in case I need to ever restore/reinstall?

I just want to make sure that if I ever need to restore/install, I don't find out that I needed some export-created file in order to restore/reinstall... so the question is specifically on "How i need to back up" for easy restore.

Thanks.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Smitty

The content of your forum is stored in a MySql database.

That is the most important thing to have backed up, as everything else can be sorted by reinstalling Vanilla (although a backup of the Vanilla files would obviously save you time.)

I don't know of any plugin that backs up the DB (which doesn't mean there isn't one.)

Check with your host - they may well automatically keep backups of your sql files.

If not, get in the habit of backing up your Vanilla sql file.

You can do this quite easily through phpMyAdmin if you have access to that via your hosts Control Panel.

If you aren't sure, you can find the file name in the cong/config.php file.