Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Forums and phpBB registration/login bridge?

n33kn33k New
edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I manage a reasonably large phpBB-based community and we're looking to expand into a second community based on Vanilla Forums. The two communities are similar but different enough that we want to share only registrations and logins, meaning registering and logging in on one forum will automatically register and login on the other forum and vice versa.

Has this been done or attempted yet?

Best Answer

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013

Well I have been working on the same thing but have not quite been able to test it right, you can see the bridge I constructed here and see if it works for you . This is for a gallery app made by simple machines. They have a ton of bridges but not for vanilla, however they seem doable. I think it's a matter of sharing user data base.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/174744/#Comment_174744

• You are talking about single sign on solution like JsConnect or ProxyConnect.

Check it out in the addon section, it would require some development on the other end.

grep is your friend.

• It's fine if users must register on the central site instead of Vanilla. I just want their login sessions to automatically sync if they login to or logout from either site.

It sounds like JsConnect is what I need since Vanilla will be accessible from a separate domain, although it will also be accessible from a sub-domain of the central site's domain and both sites will be hosted on the same server and share the same root dir. Or will ProxyConnect work for me?

Example:

domain1.com (phpBB, central site)

vanilla.domain1.com (Vanilla)
    domain2.com (Vanilla)

It's not clear to me what needs to be updated on the phpBB end. A little more direction would be greatly appreciated!

• Cross domain you have to use jsConnect.

grep is your friend.