Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Applicants Page not formatted.

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a really simple fix, but can someone let me know how I can fix an unformatted page like the screenshot attached? Looks like it is not pulling in any CSS. Thanks so much.

Griffin

Website here: http://neilvn.com/forum/
Version: Version 2.0.17.6

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Makes sense. Thanks peregrine.

I am new to Vanilla and tried an upgrade a week or so ago and it hosed the whole thing, so waiting to try it again. Any idea why the CSS wouldn't be pulled or what files I can try to replace to get it working correctly as is? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

don't have your version - so no idea.

make a duplicate forum for testing. i posted how to do it somewhere, maybe you can find it, I don't know the link otherwise i would give it to you.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited March 2013

Do the upgrade on your local PC so you can do some tests why it's not upgrading correctly. As always pls backup, backup, backup & pls be ready to document it on the wiki

WIth the CSS thing you have to look in the HTML source, to see which file vanilla wants to load & if it exists

Upgrading is more important since it will get harder when 2.1 comes out

Write down for yourself which plugins you're using and if possible download latest versions of those plugins

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

When resources aren't found, it is generally because of a path issue. The best thing you can do to help narrow it down is to clear your browser cache and make sure the CSS as referenced in the output html actually exists.

If you look in the head element of your page source, you should see some stylesheet links. The example below is what I found on your homepage:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/forum/themes/neilvn/design/style.css?v=1.0" media="screen" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/forum/plugins/Tagging/design/tag.css?v=1.0.1" media="screen" />

You can see how it is pulling a file called style.css from the /forum/themes/neilvn/design folder on your web host. You need to check the source on the unstyled page to help narrow down what is wrong.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Awesome. Thanks for all the help @peregrine, hgtonight, and UnderDog. I'm going to rebuild my instal on a dev server and try the upgrade until I can get it all fixed.

• @worldtravlr said:
    I'm going to rebuild my instal on a dev server and try the upgrade until I can get it all fixed.

PLs document as much as you can on the issues you find while upgrading, you can also use the wiki for that if you like

There was an error rendering this rich post.