HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.18.4 - User discussions and comments count has stopped

I have strange problem with my Vanilla production site. I didn't modify any code, plugins etc. from couple of months, but last night I've noticed, that numbers in user profiles aren't up to date, and doesn't increasing while user add new comment / discussion. And that is for all users.
Can someone help me, how can I find, what is the cause of the problem?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

What version of Vanilla?

What plugins do you have enabled?

Are the logs for your host showing a bunch of errors?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• vanillervaniller
    edited March 2013

Vanilla 2.0.18.4

Plugins enabled: Anonymouse, Custom Pages, Default Avatar, DiscussionExcerpt2, EasyReply, Facebook, FaviconLinks, FileUpload, Flagging, Google Sign In, Hellban, jQuery Fancybox, Last Edited, Liked, Meta, OpenID, Page Speed, Pockets, RoleTitle, ShareWith, Signatures, Split / Merge, Stop Forum Spam, Tagging, Thankful People, TopPosters, Useful Functions, Vanilla SEO, Vanilla Statistics, Voting, Youtube-light
    Thats all ;) But I didn't change or add/remove/update any of them in last half year.

Logs - If You mean apache error logs, there are nothing unusual, and site works OK, except this problem.

• Silly question: you've counted comments for a user and they don't match the number in the database.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You can check out this thread about force updating the counts.

I am not sure what would cause the counts to stop working suddenly unless there was some type of host upgrade that modified some permissions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @peregrine: Just users tell me that, and I've checkd this, posting new comment doesn't increase count in their profiles (and DB)
    @hgtonight: Thanks, first I've checked Sheila's trick - remove and restore comment and it works, count is updating, but only unfortunatly only once, and only for single user.
    This SQL queries by CurtisOden are not exactly this what I need, I have problem with user comments count in single user profile page, and in "GDN_User" table. However, I can create some query for manual update, but it doesn't solve auto update problem, this count should update itself wiith every new comment.
    However, thanks for help, I will try to find this count update functions in code and maybe this will give me some answer.
    Any other suggestions are welcome.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

load the membership enhanced plugin and see if the discussion counts and comments counts match the ones in the profile. If so you need to look in

vanilla/applications/vanilla/models/class.commentmodel.php
    at least around line 578 maybe more places in vanilla 2.0.18.4

see if that get hit, if not work your way backwards till you find a conditional that may prevent it form getting there.

If it does get hit see if you have a problem with your table, and the write.

also optimize, and analyze your database with phpmyadmin operations.

log via

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['LogEnabled'] = TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['LogFile'] = 'log/logging.txt';

also you could try the logger plugin to log variables.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@vaniller said:
    peregrine: Just users tell me that, and I've checkd this, posting new comment doesn't increase count in their profiles (and DB)

Perhaps I'm completely off the mark, but is everything ok in terms of disk space for your database server? Erratic behaviour could be caused by a lack of disk space, and it would match the fact that you didn't change anything and just used the forum. Although it's usually very easy to spot (the web applications spit out endless errors), it may be worth checking, even just to exclude it.