Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Username Mixup

Has anyone seen an issue when people in the forum go to make a post and the wrong person's name shows up? I've had it happen to two people in two days and its starting to worry me since we have a paid forum.

Basically they are already logged in and when they go to post, another users username is next to the post! It's crazy and I'm not sure what to do.

The other thing that may be relevant is that I went in as a user and added her photo right before this happened.

Thanks so much for reading.

Comments

• do you use any jsconnect or other type of logins? Or is it staight vanilla login.

did you see this

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23336/it-would-be-cool-if-this-forum-forced-the-user-to-enter-the-vanilla-version-when-posting#latest

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Does it persist with the wrong user? if so it could be a migration issue with jsConnect.

grep is your friend.

• Sorry Argh I forgot.....Version 2.0.18.1

If they log out and back in it fixes itself.

I'm not sure what jcConnect is, I'm not well versed in VF, I'm just a moderator trying to help. Tha

• You should upgrade to 2.0.18.8 becuase of security fixes.

grep is your friend.

• Is that something I can do while the forum is live? or should I wait?

• and thank you all so much for helping a newb out.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

Is that something I can do while the forum is live? or should I wait?

Yes, you can upgrade. But it is a good idea to back up (zip up your current source) and backup database.

Just in case.

make sure to keep a copy of current config.php (always helps in case of trouble).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Personally I would create some down time.

Definitely backup everything.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks all, I will do that. Are you thinking that will fix the issue?

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@DaniM53 Are the affected Users connecting from different computers? By the way you described the issue, it seems like a "hanging" session, but sessions are not shared amongst different computers (or, at least, they should not be).

• @businessdad it could also be the that session cookie cover the whole site is being set by different apps (such as two forums), with the same salt. This would make it possible to have a mix up, becuase the the User tables IDs wouldn't necessarily be snyc with that user. if they didn't have the same salt, collision would be a lot less likely, but theoretically possible.

It might be a bug in a proxy connect type opepration, etc.

if in doubt update, it may also be a session bug that is already fixed.

grep is your friend.

• Hi All, Dani here sorry the issue went away shortly after leaving my last message.

Since then we cloned and updated the forum to the latest version and are now having the same issue again.

These are users across the world, so not on the same computers and not within the same network.

Do you think something like this could be causing it?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19926/wrong-user-being-logged-in

Or do you think the salt thing? You may have to baby talk to me...lol

Thanks all~

• are you running multiple version for the forum at the same time?

how did you clone the site?

grep is your friend.