HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Batch User Admin Plugin - Please!

Hi!

I switched to Vanilla which seems very nice for various reasons, one being that my old forums was attacked so hard by spam bots.
I used the migration tool to import my threads and users, and ofcourse the 3000+ spam users followed me to the vanilla forum.
The batch user admin part of vanilla is really lacking. Pretty please could someone write a decent plugin?
Or could vanilla itself be improved in this department?
Cleanser is too basic. A nice interface would rock!

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@spotUP What exactly would you like to do? What version of Vanilla are you running?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2013

Have you read the docs? Or the wiki (sticky)?

I recommend doing something like BotStop. There are various discussion on have to mod this for your requirements.

There is also Akismet and StopForumSpam. You have to consider performance though. So it depend how it is implemented, you could adapt it to your needs. Reality is longterm users don't need to be checked out, it is those with few posts under their belt, that are the most worth checking out.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@spotUP are you asking for an easy way to batch remove users?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

hgtonight, yes!

• Options

If you are uncomfortable with database manipulation, I really suggest you give Cleanser a chance.

As far as a custom plugin, it would be trivial to create something based on @peregrine's work. The key would be collecting a list of UserIDs and updating the usermodel with the Delete method. Putting this into a nice front-end is the trick.

This seems like a really niche plugin. I suggest commissioning someone to make it if you are unsure/don't want to get into coding.

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@spotUP

let me know - if you want custom mods and you want to make a pledge contribution.
    I wrote the plugin and am pretty familiar with it :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

i deleted the users via phpmyadmin... so i am happy for now.
    i still think that the default user admin interface lacks tools to mark many users and apply stuff to them though.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@spotUP - glad you solved it.

Yes that's why there are plugins :)

And plugin development takes time, and contributions help defray the time spent and costs for the developer, at least in my case.

If there were more people making donations or contribution- I bet there would be alot more themes and plugins.

• I've created 30 plugins. (one awaiting a reply back from @ragdoll if ever).
    • Not all are perfect (maybe not any).
    • but if the people who used my plugins donated, I know my plugin output would be "astronomical" (maybe an exaggeration) and perhaps more feature-laden.

• And I suspect that is the same for other plugin developers, I am just more vocal about it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@businessdad

you've been promoted :).

• Options

What does promoted do?

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

click on this it will be self-explanatory - kind of a fast-track to the best of.

http://vanillaforums.org/bestof/everything

• Options

@peregrine I didn't even know this existed!

Search first

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@hgtonight:
    stick with me - I can you show you things you couldn't even imagine exist :).

ghosts, goblins, etc. The only thing that doesn't exist is trolls.

:) I've got alot of good tips from you too. especially clarifying the debug statement that my eyes couldn't figure out :).

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@peregrine said:
    businessdad

you've been promoted :).

Thansk, but I didn't do much, just confirmed what we all discussed many times before. Effort should always be rewarded, especially when it brings good results.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Going through my bookmarks.

I released my Bulk Edit plugin... finally. It will handle batch removing of users.

Search first