HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

In Vanilla 2.1 have you experienced that php syntax and other T errors and result in blank page

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited April 2013 in Feedback

unexpected T_STRING and the other various php errors result in blank page in V2.1b1

Just wondering if it is my installation of vanilla 2.1b1 preventing this.

debugging and deverror are enabled in config.

• if I remove a semi-colon in any plugin code, In vanilla 2.0.18.8 - I can see immediately where the T error occurred.
  • In vanilla 2.1b1 I see code produces a blank page on error without any T errors.

Anyone with a test installation willing to confirm or deny?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yep I noticed that too I put in a config missing a " and got a blank page, assumed it was that so went to fix it but no syntax error helping me find where.

• @Todd @Lincoln - please suggest how I might change this behaviour, makes plugin development 1000x harder.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

We removed the default error reporting in 2.1 as it is a security risk. You should be able to turn it back on for development with:

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@Todd

Thx. I may not have been clear,,,, my point was the configs don't have any impact on
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in vanilla 2.1b1

I already have that but it doesn't work in 2.1b1
    $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

and I already have this for bonk and sql error problems.
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';

e.g. this syntax error missing ; at end of line
    $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE

produces this in vanilla 2.0.18.8

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /var/www/vanilla/conf/config.php on line 41 Call Stack: 0.0003 335964 1. {main}() /var/www/vanilla/index.php:0 0.0010 455980 2. require_once('/var/www/vanilla/bootstrap.php') /var/www/vanilla/index.php:41 0.0499 1824188 3. Gdn_Configuration->Load() /var/www/vanilla/bootstrap.php:56   

the same syntax error produces this result in 2.1b1

a  blank page.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Looking at the source, you have to use$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; instead of $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ok thanks. @Todd and @hgtonight slap on the head to myself.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Also

~~~
     This is a block of code. Three tildas on either side do the trick. <code>code</code> tags or `code` ticks are for inline code.
     ~~~

• I've been typing

<code>

three tildes is certainly easier.

</code>

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2013

yep that fixed it . I suppose if one has to, the errors did show in the cgi error console

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /Debugger/views/debug.php on line 28

Is now visible. I can't find the syntax error

this is line 28

// Install the debugger database.

$tmp = Gdn::FactoryOverwrite(TRUE);

• @Todd said:
    Also

~~~
     This is a block of code. Three tildas on either side do the trick. <code>code</code> tags or `code` ticks are for inline code.
     ~~~

Interesting I thought it would be three backticks. either way great. :)

You could tie into google prettify lang. e.g ~~~php

grep is your friend.