Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

extra page plugin question

hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

how does this differ from the custom pages plugin in terms of capability?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Well for me the difference is that CustomPages is like a folder for extra pages and extra page is a stand alone page.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

ok. im not sure i understand the distinction. the folder is full of totally independent pages, which you can reference through whatever routes you define. you can have one, or many. What does this do differently?

edited April 2013

Well not much when you put it that way, they both serve as extra pages. If you wanted another ExtraPage you would have to do what I did and rename the entire plugin to make a new page. In the Custom pages the pages go in a folder called pages and you can call each default.php anything. I suppose that is the benefit.

You could probably add a folder into ExtraPage, call it pages and save your defaults there. As far as I know it was designed as a stand alone page/plugin.

The idea behind it though I think is to make it a Recent News type page A Front page with special announcements .

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I just look at it as two implementations of the same idea. A lot of people just want to add an extra page. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

Using the extra page plugin only requires one file change,

all you do is insert what you want in

extrapage.php

you don't need to change routing, file names etc.

just change definitions in locale and css in design folder.

To me it is simpler for the untrained person who wants to add one page.

It's all a matter of preference. Choose your poison.

As far as capability. they both do the same thing, as far as I can see. If you are making many pages, I would probably use Custom pages, or better yet create a new application which would be a 3rd way.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• We have ForceRedirect Enabled so that visitors are directed to the SignIn page.
    I need a link there for people who are not already Members of our Members-only group.
    I need them to see a brief description of our purpose, on the first page, then to have the following linked-options:
    1. Read the By-Laws.
    2. Read & Print the Membership Application.
    3. Send Moderator a question. (Need a Web form with Captcha to avoid bots & Spam.)
    4. Return to the Sign-In page.
    5. Exit the Forum

How do you recommend we accomplish this in the most-simple matter?

Thanks!

edited July 2013

I need a link there for people who are not already Members of our Members-only group

You can add any kind of html in the extrapage.php that includes links to any other content

1. Send Moderator a question.

You can add the plugin Contact and put a link to the page even though the menu already gets rendered automatically .

Or else a link to another contact form of your choosing. Or put a mailto: link to an email you create for this purpose only

Extrapage is a blank canvas and you can put anything you want in it. flash, links images . Your only limit is your imagination :)

• OK, as I am working on the HTML links and building the HTML pages I noticed that the home page (all discussions default) has a label "new page" where I'd like "Visitor Info".
    What file do I edit to change that, please?
    Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013
    in ExtraPage/locale/en-CA  see definitions.php

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    $Definition['ExtraPage'] = 'This is where you change it - New Page';

if you have a different language e.g.  zh-CH

then you would make a directory called 

Extrapage/locale/zh-CH

and copy the defintions php from ExtraPage/locale/en-CA

into Extrapage/locale/zh-CH
    and make the change in that directory.

Bonus freebie answer for a non donater.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I will be donating ... for sure!
    I've gotten so wrapped-up in the adventure of building the Forum for this group that I've forgotten to do so.
    Is the donation plug-in specific or for the Vanilla project or are there multiple segments of the project to which one may donate?
    Thanks!

Everyone works differently peregrine is the most deserving of donations in my opinion he has done so much and without him we would be doomed. You can donate by downloading his forum donate plugin there is a button in there to donate to peregrine .

• OK, will do, thanks!
    BTW: In Gallery the reason why I didn't see that the "GO" button was associated with a Search field to the left is because that field is white on white.
    Is it a small or big thing to make the background something like "whitepapertexture" or some other textured appearance, please?
    Also, shouldn't there be a "Home" button there as well since the BACK button is blank (it's a new window).
    It may be just me, because I prefer windows to tabs - perhaps it's more intuitive for someone using tabs?

• I went to Dashboard, Plugins, Extrapage-Settings, but the Donate button is not responsive.

yes that button is broke, I told him to fix it lol use the one in the forum-donate plugin it works coz I used it to donate :)

• I don't see a Donate button on the Vanilla Forum page.

no I mean to down load the plugin forum-donate the peregrine made for others to put their own button , and in the settings is his donate button :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

@DavidColburn said:
    I went to Dashboard, Plugins, Extrapage-Settings, but the Donate button is not responsive.

@DavidColburn

thanks for pointing it out. I fixed it.

I also added instructions the readme

feel free to pm me if you have problems donating to me, i am always willing to help :).

if you mafe changes to definitions.php or extrapage.php

you can make a copy of the files you made changes to - e.g. defintions.ph

I highly recommend you use this naming convention (with all duplication of files relating to vanilla -

with the extension truncated and an x in front. You will be sure that the copies you made will not load.

e.g.

old copy of definitions.php - call it x-defintions.ph

old copy of extrapage.php - call it x-extrapage.php

update to version 2.1

and then copy

x-defintions.ph to definitions.php

x-extrapage.php to extrapage.php

• @vrijvlinder said:
    yes that button is broke, I told him to fix it lol use the one in the forum-donate plugin it works coz I used it to donate :)

as i recall you never specified which plugin it was broke in :) and I have written over 30 plugins.

but thanks for your assistance

• Meanwhile, I added the forumdonate addon and sent a small donation. I'm a volunteer with a non-profit (a local homeschool group).
    I really like Vanilla Forums and have some ideas as to future larger projects for other purposes ... so this learning curve will hopefully be valuable beyond the current project.
    Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

@DavidColburn said:
    Meanwhile, I added the forumdonate addon and sent a small donation. I'm a volunteer with a non-profit (a local homeschool group).
    I really like Vanilla Forums and have some ideas as to future larger projects for other purposes ... so this learning curve will hopefully be valuable beyond the current project.
    Thanks!

Thank you @DavidColburn, i received it. I need more people like you. :).