Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] BotStop issue

edited April 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm having a problem getting the BotStop application to work. This is the error I get when I try to register. (see below)

I've used this mod: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/178015/#Comment_178015
I've read other forums, and tried creating a blank registerapproval.php file. That prevents the "bonk", but opens up a blank page.

776:          $this->_ViewLocations[$LocationName] = $ViewPath;
777:       }
778:       // echo '['.$LocationName.'] RETURNS ['.$ViewPath.']';
779:       if ($ViewPath === FALSE && $ThrowError)
780:          trigger_error(ErrorMessage("Could not find a '$View' view for the '$ControllerName' controller in the '$ApplicationFolder' application.", $this->ClassName, 'FetchViewLocation'), E_USER_ERROR);
781: 
782:       return $ViewPath;
783:    }
784: 
Tagged:

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

do you have this line set in /conf/config.php

does it say approval?

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Approval';

use the registerapproval.php that is in the zip.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• you should also upgrade to vanilla 2.0.18.8 or you might have worse problems than applicants overflow.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yes, I have this "$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Approval';"

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

and do you have the registerapproval.php from the zip in

plugins/BotStop/views/registerapproval.php

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

provide a screenshot of the files in this folder and the permissions and ownership.

the need to be the same owner as all you other plugin files (e.g. the same owner as Cleanser after your got it working).

plugins/BotStop/views/

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

install the zip again if you want to use the modified one.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/178015/#Comment_178015

you don't have plugins/BotStop/views/registerapproval.php in image 1

you have to decide whether you are going to use the zip in the above comment, or the original botstop plugin. If you use the original botstop, you will need to make a series of modifications your self for it to work with Approval.

if you use the zip that I modified (the link i provided), you just install it, no modifications necessary by you.

• Okay - I get to the login page now... by installing that additional file (registerapproval.php) in the plugins/BotStop/views folder. Thank you.

Now I'm getting "Your humanity is suspect... Please try again."

• are you adding the numbers up correctly.

• each time you submit the form, if you are missing elements the numbers change registering (e.g. terms of service box checked).. this prevents spambots.

• Yes! HOWEVER - I got it. I took more time to fill out the form with real usernames and passwords that were unique.
    Awesome help @peregrine. Thank you!

• Nope - I tried it again and it doesn't work.

• Your donation helped me spend more time to help you :) I give better service to good tippers.

• Your donation helped me spend more time to help you :) I give better service to good tippers.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

now upgrade to 2.0.18.8 It fixes important security issues that could affect you worse than bots.

make copies of any theme changes and your config.php ,
    back up your forum directory ,and database.

and unzip the 2.0.18.8 over your current installation.

• working on the update right now. did you see it's calling me inhumane again.

• delete your image, if you don't want spammers to flood your email.

you image doesn't tell me the number you entered prior to getting the message only what you get after the message.

follow these exact steps

1 - enter all the info - don't click on register.

2 -copy the info down what numbers it asks

3 - tell me the number you entered.

4 - stop here - record your info - you got steps 1,2,3 right.

5- then click register.

then if it fails - tell me exactly which number it fails on.

• it fails on nine. I was asked to add 8 and 1.

• I'm currently upgrading to 2.0.18.8